Kate's Reviews > My Soul to Take

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

May 09, 11

bookshelves: 2011, age-ya, paranormal, romance
Read from April 28 to May 09, 2011

Kaylee, after sneaking into a night club with her friend, sees an odd sight: a girl shrouded in shadows. Suddenly Kaylee is certain this girl is going to die and feels the urge to scream. This is not the first time this has happened. A few years ago Kaylee saw something similar and couldn't stop screaming, and she ended up spending some time in a mental hospital. Lucky for her, a hot guy at her school, Nash, is on hand and hurries her outside and talks to her until she's calmed down.

But when Kaylee discovers that the girl at the club DID die, she begins to question whether her premonition was coincidental. Nash finally tells her the truth: Kaylee is a bean sidhe (banshee), and her scream is actually a song that Nash, a male bean sidhe, can hear. The song holds the human soul, and the male bean sidhe can then guide the soul back into the body and bring the person back to life. This action tends to anger the reapers, but with a rogue reaper killing random girls not slated for death, Nash and Kaylee must save as many souls as they can until they can solve the mystery.

I read the prequel novella, Reaper, about Nash's brother Tod, which helped make sense out of some of the story (although I think I'll need to read it again now that I know more about Nash and Kaylee. Reaper had no romance in it, but My Soul to Take definitely lived up to being published by Harlequin Teen what with the teens groaning while making out (no sex, but it was not far off). However, the banshee legends were interesting and not one that is overused in teen lit, and the mystery was pretty good, too. Definitely a fun, fast read... even if I was a bit ashamed to be seen reading a book with the Harlequin stamp on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Take.