Diane's Reviews > The Swimming Pool

The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw

1974534
Apr 28, 11

Read in October, 2010

I didn't think of this book as a beach read at all. In fact when I read the back cover for it, I didn't get the impression that it was supposed to be. The book has all of the elements for it though; murder, secrets, betrayals and forgiveness.

Jed and Callie have a summer home on Cape Cod, the home belonging to their parents. Their mom, Betsy,was murdered and it is suspected that their dad,Cecil, committed suicide. They both have had trouble dealing with these deaths and the circumstances.

Anthony and Marcella are a divorced couple. Marcella had an affair with Cecil that eventually brought about an end to her marriage with Anthony. Jed has been more than a little obsessed with Marcella, eventually discovering her affair with his father. This doesn't stop him however from falling into a relationship with Marcella now. The two become lovers, all the while knowing how difficult it would be to tell anyone, especially Jed's sister Callie or Marcella's daughter, Toni, who babysits for Calllie.

The story of secrets and lies plays out. The past catches up to the present and the questions are soon answered. The events of the previous years proving to have altered their lives forever.

I found the book to be well written and interesting. While definitely a dark story, I enjoyed it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Swimming Pool.