Maree's Reviews > The Titan's Curse

The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: ebooks
Read from August 02 to 03, 2011

So, by the third book, I’ve got the pattern down. The kids get together to go on a quest. They have to get somewhere far away from where they are, with a wide variety of forms of transportation while beating up random monsters who are either chasing them or just happen to pop up along the way. There is a time limit deadline that they always barely squeak through.

But despite my recognition of this writing, I’m not horribly bored or offended by it. Something different is happening each time, and there are new characters that keep the journey interesting with their reactions. If not for them, then this might be a problem.

I found myself getting a lot more involved in this one, allowing myself to let go and just enjoy the book. There were a lot of times that I laughed at some of the more ridiculous writing rather than just snorting and moving on.

I also enjoyed the cast of characters a lot more this time around, which may be because I’m a fan of the strong girls and there were a lot more girls in this one with the Hunters, who I think are awesome. I also like how twisty the prophesies are and how you can change who they refer to, but not what will end up happening in the end. It’s a nice take on it.

I’m not sure why all the people who help them who aren’t main characters in the story are surfer dudes only wanting to party, but I figure it’s probably because that’s what people are least likely to expect when they think of angels and statues and Gods. It’s a fun portrayal, but also kind of ridiculous. You just have to go with it, which I’m finally doing.

Wild Things: Does it belong on the top list? Sure. I enjoyed it, and I can see myself enjoying it even more if I were a YA. It's fun and playful while still having those dire moments of life and death which are believable. So even though I'm not raving about it, I can see why people do.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Titan's Curse.

Jason haha wow, flying thru them Maree. =D, each book escalates

Maree Yeah, he seems to be a lot more experienced now, though still making mistakes, obviously. But he can kind of handle himself at least. :) Which of course means the monsters have to get bigger and more numerous!

Jason =)