Dan's Reviews > Pinocchio

Apr 28, 2011

liked it
Recommended for: NOT CHILDREN
Read from April 27 to 28, 2011

NOTE: This was downloaded for free as an e-book from the Gutenberg Project. www.gutenberg.org

After reading the marvelously devilish Pinocchio: Vampire Slayer, I just had to check out the original. And as I read it, I could only compare it to the Walt Disney movie, all I knew of the story beforehand, and marvel both that Disney decided to use this story as the basis for a children's movie, and that he was able to do so. (Well, inasmuch as Pinocchio can be called a 'children's movie'; I know the scene where Lamp-Wick turned into a donkey was horrifying, it gave me nightmares!) Of course, Disney's Pinocchio, so much more firmly entrenched in our minds, veers so far from the original story as to have almost nothing to do with it.

How strange it is that the growing of the marionette's nose when he tells a lie is the image that most prominently sticks in our minds. Pinocchio and his nose have pretty much become the symbol of falsehoods in our culture. And yet Collodi's "Pinocchio" is really a more overarching cautionary tale, in the grandest morbid style of the brothers Grimm, about obeying one's parents, hard work as a source of true happiness as well as livelihood, and to a lesser extent, knowing who your friends are, at least when it comes to listening to their advice. Practially everything bad that happens to Pnocchio comes from his poor judgment about what advice to heed. I think the lesson about hard work is the strongest, though; I certainly could have used it at a younger age. Compared to some of the other things that cause Pinocchio's downfall, his laziness is entirely his own contrivance, and the results are far more realistic than, say, getting swallowed by a giant shark. No, it wasn't a whale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pinocchio.

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee Hall There's a coincidence. I read this probably about 15 years ago, and just yesterday I was thinking about going back and re-reading it.