L.E.Olteano 's Reviews > The Goddess Test

Jul 29, 15

bookshelves: blog-review, reviewed, pub-2011-or-earlier-2012-tbr-pile
Read from February 23 to 24, 2012

Originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on Feb 27 2012:

Hur~hur, yes, I know, you’ve read this months ago. Everybody read this months ago, so it’s obvious I’m reading it now, lol. Part of my personal charm, I find out in March that it was January sometime, you know? Haha. Kidding. Sort of. Aaanyways…
Before reading this, I’ve seen mixed reviews of it. Honestly, that was the hook for me. Where there is a polemic, there’s something interesting, that’s what I always say. So I decided this was a must-read.

The plot was a very original take on the myth of Persephone, or more like a twist on that myth. After reading the first chapter I was freaked out, honestly. The whole idea of someone having a baby for a specific porpoise like that was just a bit…uhm, yeah. But it was the kind of freak factor that keeps me curious rather then killing my mood, so I went bravely onward.
Moving on, reading about Kate’s mom and everything, I got teary-eyed. From freaked to teary-eyed in a rather short span of pages – emotional response way off the scale. I had some considerable fun with the whole high-school thing, and the people Kate met there, so throw in some chuckles. I got royally flaming mad with Ava, and I loved Kate’s selflessness. Her choice about Ava made sense to me, because as it often happens with having a loved one very sick, you’ll take the whole ‘doomed’ thing as a personal cause, you’ll want to save the un-save-able, do the un-do-able. When Kate was in Eden Manor, I felt everything happening there was intriguing and sort of heartbreaking too, Henry made me want to slap him a little on a couple occasions. You wanted to slap him too if you read this, admit it! All the Persephone-related whining when she didn’t seem much but a hue nasty to me, I mean, come on! Move the myth on, you know? Anyways…the less interesting part to me was the go-between introducing Kate and her mom and arriving at Eden, honestly. Perhaps because I knew she’d get there and the really fun part is yet to come, I was losing patience with every moment she spent anywhere else.
When I got to the end of the book, I was freaked out again. I mean…the whole play put in motion, all of the drama, all of the hurt Kate went through, anguish and loneliness and pain, and then poof, surprise, we’ve just been messing with your head? She took it very well, I would have gone rampant on those dudes.

As far as characters go, I felt they were very easy to connect with and as far as the gods go, very…Greek gods, you know? Moody, and playing games, messing with mortal’s heads…definitely very Greek gods. I didn’t get a lot from Henry, he was very cryptic and in places annoying (slap him, someone slap him), Kate sure had a lot more patience then I would have that’s a given. I’m probably going to be horrible for saying this, but I really didn’t like Kate’s mom. At all. In the slightest. Kate herself was a very agreeable character, she made sense to me in her grief, perhaps less so in her shock near the end, but it’s shock right, nothing makes much sense once you’re in that zone. I mean she took the whole gods thing very lightly, or so it seemed to me, like she just breezed through it.
By large I felt the characters were built nicely, the focus falling more on the important team players and less on the extras, it’s something that works sometimes and sometimes doesn’t, and in this particular novel, for me, it worked just fine.

The writing was lovely, very energetic and young-spirited somehow, not leaning more towards the action or the description end of the specter, and I really liked that balance. I felt it did a good job at making me connect to the characters, and I’ve seen the 3rd person alienating me instead of bringing me closer to the action or the characters, so the author certainly gets cookies for good writing from me.
And I’m looking forward to reading the next book, which just so happens I have as an ARC from Harlequin via NetGalley, don’t you just love it when all things come together so nicely? :D I’ll get into reading it and post my review the day it’s out, deal?

All in all, I say you should totally read this if you’re into paranormal YA novels and myths. It’s a new perspective on mythology, a contemporary remix if you will, it’s good writing and an interesting story. What more could you want? :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Test.