Cassie's Reviews > The Ghost and the Goth

The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade

May 09, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-own, cover-love, fantasy, read-in-2012, reviewed-on-blog
Read from April 18 to 21, 2012

** spoiler alert ** 'The Ghost and the Goth' by Stacey Kade was a HUGE surprise for me. I must admit that I was not expecting much from this book and actually didn't think that I was going to enjoy it at all. Goes to show you how much I know. Because I absolutely adored this book, from beginning to end.

Besides trying to hide the cover from my cousin (who is deadly scared of ghosts) there wasn't a moment that I wanted to put this book down. Except when I was forced to work =(. Alona and Will both had such strong, clear voices and were both such leading characters. I can't think of a single time that I was annoyed with either one of them. They were both flawed in their own ways but together they were better then by themselves. That is when they were able to get along or even willing to listen to one another. They both came from such different backgrounds that at first it was definitely hard to see how they would ever be able to figure out how to work nicely together. But it was a great journey seeing them finally being able to look behind the image and into who the person really was.

I typically don't like the stereotypical 'cheerleader' character, but Alona was far from that. She was actually a rather intelligent and quick-witted character to read about. I found her to be so much more then one would expect. She was what she was (while she was alive) because she was afraid to let anyone see how really flawed and not perfect her personal life really was. And that is just a human trait that I couldn't not love her.

And Will was just the opposite of Alona. Not that he wasn't flawed, because by all means he was as well. But it was for completely different reasons. He didn't know how to comes to terms with his dad's death and what he did, leaving his mother and him alone. And he couldn't figure out how to accept his gift without hurting people (or so he thought). But with Alona's help he was able to figure out that it was a gift, not a curse. And with Will's help Alona was able to figure out that sometimes allowing people to see that your not perfect isn't a bad thing, because nobody is.

This was a quick read and I finished it within a day. But I am so absolutely in love with this series. I have been so lucky recently with getting to read such good books. I have already went out and bought 'Queen of the Dead' book 2 in this beautiful and sweet series. Can't wait to be able to read it and the cover is just as beautiful as 'The Ghost and the Goth' book cover. =D

To see more of my reviews, go to my blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost and the Goth.

04/18/2012 page 1
0.0% "Prologue: Alona Dare"
04/18/2012 page 5
2.0% "Chapter 1: Alona"
04/19/2012 page 21
7.0% "Chapter 2: Will Killian"
04/19/2012 page 37
44.0% "Chapter 9: Alona"
04/20/2012 page 149
49.0% "Chapter 10: Will"
04/20/2012 page 165
54.0% "Chapter 11: Alona"
04/20/2012 page 180
59.0% "Chapter 12: Will"
04/20/2012 page 207
68.0% "Chapter 13: Alona"
04/20/2012 page 224
74.0% "Chapter 14: Will"
04/20/2012 page 236
78.0% "Chapter 15: Alona"
04/20/2012 page 241
79.0% "Chapter 16: Will"
04/20/2012 page 251
83.0% "Chapter 17: Alona"
04/21/2012 page 262
86.0% "Chapter 18: Will"
04/21/2012 page 273
90.0% "Epilogue: Will Killian"
04/21/2012 page 281
92.0% "Finished, review coming soon!"
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Renee any good? i'm SUPER behind on my reviews and i miss goodreads! AP testing is coming up soon so i'll be even BUSIER if its possible. I'll be on more when summer comes around and i'll have time to catch up on reviews:P
miss you! :D

Cassie Surprisingly enough I am really enjoying it. It's a fast read but sooo well done. I really thought I wasn't going to like it, but I am actually like both characters and the story so far.

I miss you as well. But I totally understand how stressful school can be. I hope it is all going well for you and dude... totally kick it's butt. I know you can. =D