Nomes's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

First and foremost: I had an awesome time reading Legend. Which is, after all, why I love to read (to bask in the awesomeness). It was unputdownable (I felt increasing anticipation throughout), immensely enjoyable, completely absorbing and just plain GOOD.

I loved the blend of action with the dystopian society. I appreciated how there were dark and sinister things being hinted at, yet it was never melodramatic or crazily climatic.

I did not anticipate how much I would care for the characters. The dual POV was perfectly balanced and I never confused the voices. While I can appreciate fab plots, tension and twists, it is the characters that always resonate beyond the book for me, and I fell in love with June and Day*. I liked them separately, and also loved watching the tension between them ~ and for those who like to swoon, there's some swooning as well <3

NOW FOR EVEN MORE AWESOME: Did you know that Legend is loosely based on Les Miserables? Like a post-apocalyptic YA version. You can find snatches of themes running through the novel, subtly done. Of course, Day is like the notorious criminal Jean Valjean, and June is a female version of Javert... (anyone here a fan of Les Mis? Such a brilliant story)

While the world building wasn't nonsensical/ridiculous (like some other YA dystopias I have attempted) I did feel rather vague on a lot of the political history, which was pertinent to the present plot. Yet that didn't detract from me having a fab time with this.

Also, some of the way in which clues/mysteries are revealed > LOL. Always in movies and books are answers so perfectly coded and easily deduced (if it was left to me, I never would have found and interpreted the obscure/absurd clues on which crucial plot points relied on).

I have already happily, enthusiastically been shoving my copy of Legend into the hands of family members (teens and adults) for a guaranteed good read. I am not sure my review is shining enough for this book, which I so loved and crazily, completely recommend for fans of YA fiction, especially for all the dystopian nuts out there.

* Day was my fave. The little Robin Hood ninja genius that he is.
36 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

oliviasbooks I loved it Nomes! But I hope the rumors are true and the cover is only temporary.

Nomes LOL about the cover. Not sure it will capture the readership?

December is a long wait ~ how did you read it already?

(also, now that you have said you loved it ~ I am suddenly *much* more excited about it)

message 3: by oliviasbooks (last edited Apr 28, 2011 03:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oliviasbooks I've read the manuscript for my publisher. And they bought the German rights, yay!

I think the cover is a bit Hunger-Game-ish, but there should be a lot of scenes or visuals that would be ideal for a truly gorgeous cover. Do something, Marie!!!

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I am excited for this too. Has the film rights been sold for this already?

Saskia Largent Ugh, the cover makes me want to stab my eyes out with a fork. I really hope they change it.

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I am loving the AUS/UK cover :) What do you think Nomes?

oliviasbooks Oh. This is almost exactly how I imagined the cover to look.

oliviasbooks Well. To be precise I imagined Day and Tess sitting on some rubble overlooking the city.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 24, 2011 10:38PM) (new)

It never ceases to escape my attention that according to ya dystopian covers; even at the end of the world as we know it, skinny jeans will still be at the height of fashion

Emily Haha! Yes, skinny jeans must be an important ingredient for saving humanity.

I think the Aus cover is cool, not sure if I love it though...

Nomes i really like it.

i didnt even realise we were going to be getting a diff one to the US ~ i like our one better :) i like the combat boots and how there's shadows but still a luminous feel about it :)

and LOL @ skinny jeans ;)

Alexa Way more exciting than the US cover! It almost looks like a movie poster. I love the background. X3

Arlene I've said this before ....Aussies get all the good stuff. I might smuggle a copy because it's way more exciting than the US cover.

Flannery Now that I'm looking at this cover more, WHERE THE HELL IS HER OTHER FOOT?

Braiden her other foot is pointing outwards to the background.

Flannery I see what you are talking about but there is still part of it missing...or at least it looks like it.

oliviasbooks Flannery wrote: "Now that I'm looking at this cover more, WHERE THE HELL IS HER OTHER FOOT?"

It's a staircase. Is it not?

message 19: by Flannery (last edited Aug 02, 2011 11:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Flannery I don't think it is? It looks like she is on the roof of a high building and that section is just a crumbled section of the outer wall. If it was a stairway, the right side of it wouldn't be crumbling inwards. (in terms of perspective.)If it were stairs, they should be defined only on the left side of the hole in the wall.

Braiden Here is my review of Legend if you want to read more about it: http://www.bookprobereviews.com/2011/...

message 21: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Flannery wrote: "Now that I'm looking at this cover more, WHERE THE HELL IS HER OTHER FOOT?"

LOL. You are too funny Flannery. I would have never noticed it!

Reynje Oh, I'm excited for this again :) For a while I was feeling let down by so many mediocre dystopian books that I was ready to give it up..

Glad you liked it Nomes. I'm definitely going to track down a copy (I think it comes out soon, right?)

~Tina~ The little Robin Hood ninja genius that he is.

^^ LOL! I love that!

Glad you likey!:)

Nomes @ Reynje ~ it comes out at the end of this month :) It was really good. I will review it by this weekend (my only two gripes, I have already said...) I read this all in one day ~ and loved it. It would have to be one of the better recent YA dystopias (for good times and great characters)

@ Tina: thanks, i loved it. Now we have to wait for #2. LOVED Day! He is awesome, isn;t he?

Crystal I agree with Tina best line ever LOL!

Wendy Darling I like these action-oriented dystopians too, Nomes. I rather enjoy that they don't take themselves so seriously!

message 27: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit I really need a good dystopian, seems like ages that I read a decent one. This book sounds awesome and you're wonderful review has definitely given me the encouragement to check it out :)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) i wasn't sure about this, but you've got me Nomes. Try to get my hands on this when i get back :)

message 29: by Barry (new)

Barry Hoffman I am the publisher of Gauntlet Press (www.gauntletpress.com). We are publishing a signed limited edition of LEGEND (LEGEND: COLLECTOR'S EDITION) which contains a good deal of bonus material not included in the novel. If you would like a review copy (ARC) of LEGEND: COLLECTOR'S EDITION please send me your name and address to info@gauntletpress.com. We should have the galleys in two weeks. The hardcover signed limited edition will be available in November.

Barry Hoffman (Publisher, Gauntlet Press)