Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > About That Night

About That Night by Julie James

2043222
Apr 16, 12

Read from April 07 to 10, 2012

review posted at Got Fiction?

Finally we get Kyle’s story! If you remember, he was the Twitter Terrorist and was sent to prison.

He met the girl of his dreams in a bar 9 years ago (I loved the references to the year-the cel phones and everything). She isn’t all that impressed with Kyle, but she lets him walk her home. They banter and they plan a date for the next night…and Kyle never shows.
Rylann is mad playboy Kyle Rhodes never showed, but when she finds out why, it’s completely understandable, and unfortunately the two don’t see each other for almost a decade. And even more unfortunately when they do see each other, it’s in court.

Rylann is an assistant US Attorney and her office put Kyle behind bars. But today she’s in court to agree that he should be released with time served. Then her boss gives her a case where she will need Kyle’s testimony to help put a prison guard in jail. She is absolutely right when she figures Kyle will want nothing to do with her office, after all, they went after him pretty harshly when his case came up. But Kyle is willing to see Rylann and help her out. Once the case is over, they have some decisions to make. Should they continue to see each other? Should they be exclusive? And can an Assistant US Attorney date an ex-con?

This was a cute story, but I kept expecting more to happen with Rylann’s case. I mean she put a cop in jail-shouldn’t there be some threats, or some lingering issues? I guess I expected a bit of a suspense plot there, but it was conveniently taken care of only half-way through the book. Other than that, this was a sweet and sexy contemporary romance.

My favorite quote from Kyle was "Because nine years ago, I walked up to the most beautiful girl in the bar, and tonight she's still the only person I want to talk to.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About That Night.

04/07/2012 page 37
04/09/2012 page 79
26.0% "so how does this case connect to Kyle? hmmm..."
04/09/2012 page 87
29.0% "Ahhh....that's how."
04/09/2012 page 130
43.0% "there's always lots of flirty fun in Julie James novels :)"
04/09/2012 page 166
55.0% "She cursed the red magic boob dress. Best line ever! Lol"
04/10/2012 page 304
100.0% "A really sweet romance:) 4 stars"

Lisa Is it April yet, lol?

Laura the Highland Hussy I know right?! Lol

Katyana Totally agree with you - just put the same in my review. Loved Kyle and Rylann, but kept expecting some suspense. It seemed like she intended to put it there - the guards nervousness made me wonder if this was the tip of the iceberg, like they were going to uncover some big prison scandal - but it felt weird that the court storyline ended with a whimper about 40% into the book.

Laura the Highland Hussy I just read your review and yeah, totally agree. I guess with such a huge thing (putting a cop behind bars) I thought for sure there would be some form of retaliation.

And like you mentioned, the other FBI series had that RS element.

But also as you pointed out-it's a straightforward romance and it worked :)

Katyana Yeah, I liked the characters a lot, so I was able to go with it. I still prefer RS though. :)

Laura the Highland Hussy lol-do you read Cynthia Eden at all? She has really good PNR/Rom Sus

Katyana No, I haven't read any of her. Which would you recommend as a good start point? I'm going on a trip to India in 6 weeks (for work) and I'm trying to load up my Kindle.

Laura the Highland Hussy I'd start w/her Night Watch series. Theyre shiftersvampires and I think they're the best.

Immortal Danger (Night Watch, #0.5) by Cynthia Eden Eternal Hunter (Night Watch, #1) by Cynthia Eden Eternal Flame (Night Watch, #3) by Cynthia Eden I'll Be Slaying You (Night Watch, #2) by Cynthia Eden Never Cry Wolf (Night Watch, #4) by Cynthia Eden

I'm not sure if I got the order right, but there ya go :)

Katyana Awesome, thank you!

Laura the Highland Hussy I hope you like them!!
Oh! She has a Bound series of novellas at 99 cents apiece, in case you want to sample her writing before buying all the full length books

Laura the Highland Hussy Btw the series is called "Bound" sorry. Yknow like Bound in Blood or Bound by the Night.
My phone is acting wonky and won't let me edit the other comment