Book Twirps's Reviews > The Near Witch

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

Apr 27, 2011

Read from July 23 to 24, 2011

The story of the Near Witch is just a story told to frighten children. Lexi knows this. She’s heard the story her entire life. She’s heard the story so many times it is engrained in her memory, and she often tells the story to her younger sister before she goes to sleep. One night, after tucking her sister in, Lexi notices the strange figure of a boy standing outside her home. The boy appears to flicker in the wind and eventually disappears right before her eyes. While most people in the town of Near would be frightened, Lexi is intrigued. She was always told by her late father that not all witches are evil. Like humans, they can be good or bad. So, when the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, Lexi tracks down the boy and enlists him in helping her find the children before the townsfolk begin blaming the witches.

As more children disappear, the townspeople become more and more unsettled and the truth behind the legend of the Near Witch is questioned. Is she really only a myth? Can Lexi find the children and learn the mystery of the strange boy before it’s too late?

I probably shouldn’t have read The Near Witch right after reading Chime. While both are totally different stories, and both authors have completely different writing styles , I couldn’t help but compare the two books to one another at first. In the beginning, I felt Ms. Schwab’s writing was too flowery and poetic, but halfway through the story I realized that this style perfectly fits the tone of the book. It gives the reader a sense of floating through the story. I felt the characters were strong and I was completely caught up in the mystery surrounding the missing children and the Near Witch. There’s a definite haunting vibe to both the story and the prose. I highly recommend it.

(Review based on an advanced reader's copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Near Witch.

07/23/2011 page 128