Monique's Reviews > Jellicoe Road

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: 2012, award-winners, fiction, young-adult, kindle
Recommended to Monique by: Tina
Read from April 25 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

Done reading but I'll withhold rating/writing my thoughts on it until after May 19. :D

Posting my review now. It's not like my thoughts on the book have much sway on fellow readers.

Original post here.

The connection? No, it wasn't all that difficult to figure out. In fact, I had fun with it. It's just like the matching type examinations in school, way back when.

I appreciated the mystery and the hint of suspense, of course. It's one aspect of fiction that I thrive in. And even if I did figure out early on that Melina Marchetta was actually narrating two stories - one from the past, one from the present - and that they will eventually tie up in the end, I enjoyed reading this nonetheless.

Jellicoe Road is a heartwarming story about friendship, family, love, death and loss, coming to terms with life's trials, and the ties that bind ~ all the important things that transcend time, space and distance. It's what I truly appreciated about the novel, actually. The author begins the story with something just a tad trivial - territory wars - and then comes out strong in the end with all the stuff that matter. The first half is a meandering mess, but the storyline builds up somewhere in the middle so that by the time you get to the second half of the book, you'll be so hooked you'll be unable to put it down. :) Unfortunately, much as I would like to expound on my observations, I highly doubt that I could give an accurate description without revealing too much of the plot, and we really don't want that. Like Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, this book is highly spoilery (is there such a word?), and I don't want to be the one to kill the fun.

The writing wasn't exceptional, but I liked its simplicity and straightforwardness. The characters? Well, there were times when I thought Taylor Markham was such a drama queen, but then I try to put myself in her shoes, and while I know I can never relate to her, I think I can comprehend where all the angst was coming from. Jonah Griggs would never be a "literary crush" in a million years, but he is perfect for Taylor, and they sincerely deserved each other. Everyone else - Raffaela, Chaz, Hannah, the Brigadier, etc. - were secondary personalities that helped build and shape Taylor's character.

The Great Reveal - well, more like Great Reveal in Installments - didn't shock me as much as I thought it would, however. I think that I read through the chapters more for the purpose of confirming what I already know, and it didn't really blow me away. Still, it tugged at my emotions; the realizations and acknowledgments in the end broke my heart, and I appreciated people's histories and how these can change lives, in a major way. Because, more than anything, Jellicoe Road is Taylor Markham's journey to self-discovery, and the story of acceptance of the people around her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jellicoe Road.

04/26/2012
12.0% "Reading something for a mere 10 minutes and reaching the 12% mark straightaway feels weird, haha! This should be a short, sweet read." 2 comments
04/26/2012
20.0% "Territory wars. Australian moro-moro of my childhood? :D"
04/29/2012
65.0% "Well. That wasn't so hard to figure out now, was it? :P"

Comments (showing 1-18)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 18: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Yay! :)

message 17: by Monique (last edited Apr 27, 2011 07:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monique Haha, you (and a hundred others who gave it 5 stars) had me convinced. ;)

Aaron Vincent Any sort of hints at least????

Monique Aaron Vincent wrote: "Any sort of hints at least????"

Hint? Hmm... Di kita babasagin sa May 19. Haha! :P

message 14: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Monique wrote: "Aaron Vincent wrote: "Any sort of hints at least????"

Hint? Hmm... Di kita babasagin sa May 19. Haha! :P"

=D

message 13: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina (Of course I'm here to like and comment immediately! Haha) I love those stars :) And this review. See you on the 19th, Monique!

Maria Ella (makikilike!) :D

Angus Bakit ba naiistress ako sa mga ratings ng Jellicoe Road? Tapusin ko na nga ang backlog ko at nang masimulan na siya! :D

Monique Thanks for liking, Ella! :)

Buddy, naii-stress ka lang na magbabasa ka ng YA, period. Haha! Pressure ito, dapat magustuhan mo kundi, siguradong di ka na talaga uulit. Ahaha! :P

Tina Angus: Actually, masaya lang ako na magkaka-YA read ka na. HAHA. Pero sana magustuhan mo pa rin. Para eventually pwede ka na namin pahiramin ng Harry Potter. ;)

Aaron Vincent Monique: Until now it leaves me confused how people find the structure too confusing. There were tell-tale hints all over and the red-herrings are easy to identify.

And I use the word spoilerable and guess from whom I got that? John Green. Big surprise, isn't it? :P

Angus: It's kind of refreshing actually to have someone who reads all those kind of books(if you know what i mean*wink wink*) to be open on reading a YA novel without any hint of prejudice over it. Zing.

Monique AARON: Let's talk about those hints on May 19. :D

Ah, spoilerable. Okay, let's use that then. Sabi ni John Green eh! :))

message 6: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Monique, thanks for the review.

Monique K.D. wrote: "Monique, thanks for the review."

See you soon po! :)

Maria Aaron Vincent wrote: "Monique: Until now it leaves me confused how people find the structure too confusing. There were tell-tale hints all over and the red-herrings are easy to identify.

And I use the word spoilerable..."

Hellooo. Hnd lahat ng tao kasing observant mo pag nagbabasa.

Monique Hi Monique, glad you liked Jellicoe. Natawa ako sa comment mo kay Jonah Griggs. you go girl! LOL

Hi Maria! Haha. Akalain mong minsan pala nagkakapareho tayo ng mga aklat na nagugustuhan. Weeheehee :))

OK naman si Jonah, macho-macho, pero di ko sya type. Ahihi! :P

Maria Ako din, hnd sya ung 'swoony' type db? tama ka, bagay sila ni Taylor. :)

napapadalas nga ang like natin sa same books. Lately, ung The Girl Who Played with Fire. tapos ngayon naman, Jellicoe Road. whoopee!

Lynai Hi Monique. I agree about Jonah Griggs. My crush was the Brigadier haha!