Margaret's Reviews > The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University

The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose

F_50x66
Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: memoire-biography
Read in April, 2011

I enjoyed this book on two levels: First, Kevin Roose writes well, certainly better than his youth would indicate (written in his young 20's). Second, it was fascinating to be a voyeur along with the author at the fundamentalist Christian university, Liberty University, founder: Jerry Falwell. This book is his account of a semester at Liberty U., and the fact that he treated this essentially as the equivalent of a semester abroad in a foreign country (much cheaper than going overseas!) cracked me up - it was a brilliant move, and certainly gave him lots of food for thought and writing material. As a God-respecting, liberal Episcopal (C of E) Christian, I could not be more different from this fundamentalist brand of Christianity, and I appreciate Mr. Roose's taking the plunge for me and, as it were, reporting from the front. He is respectful and identifies what is good about the culture - praying for one's friends and for the world on a really regular basis isn't a bad thing - and is also respectful, albeit questioning and skeptical, about the seemingly goofy stuff (proselytizing in FL during spring break). The scary part is just how gay-hate and gay-bashing the fundamentalist culture at Liberty is, without apology. Very disturbing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikely Disciple.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Juliegsorensen Margaret, thanks for recommending this book and your review. I just finished it and loved it!