Matthew's Reviews > Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-69

Nothing Like It in the World by Stephen E. Ambrose

Feb 26, 2008

Recommended to Matthew by: Ross B. Nelson
Recommended for: History readers, Jim Heywood if he were still alive, and guys
Read in January, 2008

** spoiler alert ** My brother-in-law, Ross, is a Park Ranger at the Golden Spike National Historic Site. During our Christmas vacation to Corinne, Utah, Emily, the girls, and I made a trip up to Promontory Summit to visit him and watch him do what he does there. Every year during the holidays the National Parks Service hosts something called the "Steam Festival" which is basically where they pull out one of the giant steam engines (this year it was the replica of the Jupiter) and fire them up and blow steam all over the place. It was an incredible and beautiful sight.

I had to know more. Ross suggested this book. I really enjoyed it. I like history, and this one was well written. I'm not really a railroad guy... but this book almost made me want to become one. It didn't affect me like when I read Path Between the Seas (about the building of the Panama Canal), by David McCullough, but it was a great read.

****Spoiler Alert*****
The Transcontinental Railroad was completed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing Like It in the World.

message 1: by David (new)

David If you liked this book you would like "Undaunted Courage" by the same author. It is about Lewis and Clark. One of his best books