Jimmy Hanson's Reviews > The Cat Who Could Read Backwards

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson Braun

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, other
Read from April 25 to 27, 2011, read count: 1

"5" For feline entertainment, about a "3" for mystery technique.

I used to love these novels when I was in high school [some 13 years ago] and decided to rent them from the library again from sheer nostalgia. It was as entertaining as I remember it being, from the point of view of an openly excited reader and a cat-lover to boot.

The introduction of Qwill to KoKo is more poignant than I remember it being, simply because he [KoKo] is a bit more of a snob, being with his previous owner - a rather self-dignified art critic - for about 95% of the novel. Here and there he connects with Qwilleran and gradual the scenes between them get longer and more detailed. From there, the story becomes less about what's happening or who did what, so much as 'watch-KoKo ... what-is-he-going-to-do-next??' anticipation.

The wrap up seemed rushed to me and the 'bad guy' someone I couldn't even remember, barely mentioned earlier in the first third of the book itself. Everything was explained through a volleyball toss between Qwill and Art, Odd and a few others over chips and drinks over the last three pages. I'm tempted to read them again - just to try an make more sense of the mystery and murder reasoning itself - but anticipate the next novel - and the introduction of my favs, Yum Yum - more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat Who Could Read Backwards.