Stephen's Reviews > The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey

Dec 04, 2013

did not like it
bookshelves: reference, shame-on-you, 1980-1989
Read on April 27, 2011 — I own a copy

Photobucket
I would like to make clear that David Hasselhoff's appearance in this review should in no way be deemed to imply that I endorse or support his career in any way whatsoever.Thank you for your understanding.

FIVE "PRACTICAL" HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE

First, a few comments on the seven so-called “habits” identified in the book, namely:

1.Be proactive,
2.Begin with the End in Mind,
3. Put First Things First,
4. Think Win-Win,
5. Seek First to Understand, then to be understood,
6. Synergize, and
7. Sharpen the Saw

In a word…..crap!!
In several words, what a giant, steaming pile of new-age, masturbatory, corp-lingo, platitude spewing bullshit.

Think Win-Win…are you kidding me with this Jim Jones Kool-aid party chant?

Synergize….just hearing that word makes me throw up in my mouth.

Sharpen the saw….exactly…reading that phrase makes me literally want to sharpen the saw and slice a hate filled path through the contents of this book.

This book is like a giant fortune cookie full of sounds good but says nothing. My advice: rather than read this book, go get a six pack or a bottle of wine, grab some China Mieville or Dan Simmons and find a nice comfy tree to sit under while you read something that might actually expand your mind.

Now I certainly don't have any foolproof answers or magic exercises that will help you bring out the "inner-winner" inside you. However, I did come up five pracical (and hopefully a little humorous) habits that have proven to be pretty effective at making people successful in their chosen field (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

1. EMBRACE TECHNOLOGY AND MEDICAL SCIENCE TO BECOME THE BEST YOU CAN BE

5. BE RUTHLESS PROACTIVE IN DEALING WITH THE COMPETITION

walmart_store-1

THE END..... Photobucket
327 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

message 1: by TK421 (new)

TK421 I had to read this book for a class concerning ethics...yeah, I'm still trying to figure out why we read it. Neddless to say, I wasn't a fan of it.

message 2: by Trudi (new)

Trudi HA! :) :)

message 3: by Kathryn (last edited Apr 27, 2011 07:06PM) (new)

Kathryn During my performance eval at work about 2-3 weeks ago, my supervisor recommended this book. I do not think she was enjoying it, thank God, since I have zero interest in reading it. I will say that self-help books worry me. Greatly.

And look, Hasselhoff is all fuzzy!! And orange!!

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie And look, Hasselhoff is all fuzzy!! And orange!!

Hasselhoff is John Bonner's bastard son.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Synergize….just hearing that word makes me throw up in my mouth.

;)

Yeah, I had to read this pile of pooo....

message 6: by Stephen (last edited Apr 27, 2011 09:44PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Stephen Kathryn wrote: "And look, Hasselhoff is all fuzzy!! And orange!!"

Hmmm....fuzzy and orange....
Photobucket

Stephen Stephanie wrote: "Synergize….just hearing that word makes me throw up in my mouth.

;)"

You can take a bow for that contribution to the review.

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Stephen wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "And look, Hasselhoff is all fuzzy!! And orange!!"

Hmmm....fuzzy and orange....
"

Ha! Like a mirror image!

message 9: by Kemper (new)

Kemper I also hate the word 'synergy' in all of its evil forms.

message 10: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent 'Synergy' is bad by I hate 'proactive' more. 'Best Practices' is also a phrase that I hate.

message 11: by Kemper (new)

Kemper 'Low hanging fruit' is another corporate phrase I've come to despise.

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent Kemper wrote: "'Low hanging fruit' is another corporate phrase I've come to despise."

I forgot about that one. When someone says Low Hanging Fruit, I automatically translate it to testicles for some reason.

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Me too, Dan. :)

Stephen Dan wrote: "When someone says Low Hanging Fruit, I automatically translate it to testicles for some reason."

I've come to hate gravity as I get older.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Stephen wrote: "Dan wrote: "When someone says Low Hanging Fruit, I automatically translate it to testicles for some reason."

I've come to hate gravity as I get older."

gravity sucks.

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Gravity warps...space-time.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Good thing I know a Fizzy Cyst!

message 18: by mark (new)

mark monday not Like, LOVE!

Stephen mark wrote: "not Like, LOVE!"

Thanks, Mark. This was another one I had a lot fun putting together.

Stephen Brian wrote: "......Urm, except that one of Hasselhoff.. my eyes!!
:)"

You sir are obviously not German!!

message 21: by Robert (new)

Robert Stephanie, yes - it would be tragic to go through life mistaking warping for sucking! Lucky I saved you from that fate! ;-)

message 22: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Ha ha! You people are all awesome. I was in need of a laugh tonight and this review and its comments came along at just the perfect moment. Thanks!!

Stephen Robert wrote: "Stephanie, yes - it would be tragic to go through life mistaking warping for sucking! Lucky I saved you from that fate! ;-)"

Warping, sucking, pulling, crushing....I don't care what you call it, I just want Gravity to leave me the hell alone!!!

Stephen J.M. wrote: "Ha ha! You people are all awesome. I was in need of a laugh tonight and this review and its comments came along at just the perfect moment. Thanks!!"

Nice to hear. Glad you enjoyed it, Joe.

message 25: by Robert (new)

Robert Let me know how you get on with that, Stephen!

Stephen Robert wrote: "Let me know how you get on with that, Stephen!"

Oh, if I figure out how to beat it, you won't need to check your update feed to find out....just turn on CNBC, I'll be the one talking about the IPO for FU Gravity Industries, Inc.

message 27: by Robert (new)

Robert Right-o!

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Robert wrote: "Stephanie, yes - it would be tragic to go through life mistaking warping for sucking! Lucky I saved you from that fate! ;-)"

Thank you Robert....I owe you my life, warped as it may be.

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie J.M. wrote: "Ha ha! You people are all awesome. I was in need of a laugh tonight and this review and its comments came along at just the perfect moment. Thanks!!"

For any bit part I played in your amusement....you are welcome.

Stephen Stephanie wrote: "J.M. wrote: "Ha ha! You people are all awesome. I was in need of a laugh tonight and this review and its comments came along at just the perfect moment. Thanks!!"

For any bit part I played in your amusement....you are welcome."

And for any part my unfortunate struggle with gravity may have been a source of amusement for you, may I just say...
Angry Pictures, Images and Photos

message 31: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Ooooh......Stephen :)

message 32: by Karla (new)

Karla I had to read this review aloud to my mother, who was forced to go to this workshop and was bored out of her fucking skull. She couldn't stop LOLing. :D

Covey's got a nice racket. The workbook pack that was sold to workplaces (like the college where I work) was $140 a pop about 7 years ago. And when he expanded it to EIGHT Habits, a new workbook packet was required. Huh. And all for common sense gussied up in say-nothing bullshit buzzword lingo. If someone's already an organized and thorough individual, Covey's crap is redundant blather.

Stephen Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I had to read this review aloud to my mother, who was forced to go to this workshop and was bored out of her fucking skull. She couldn't stop LOLing. :D"

Thanks, Karla. That is so great to hear. You just made my morning.

message 34: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) Well played, good master. Well played.

Stephen Lavender wrote: "Well played, good master. Well played."

Why thank you most kindly.

message 36: by Bill (new)

Bill hahaha! I used to date a woman who suggested I read this. She also made me sit through a movie version of The Secret. Insults your intelligence, as my dear granddad used to say.

Stephen Yes, but makes great fodder for the rant review.

message 38: by Ian (new)

Ian Vinogradus I regard this review as a first round knock-out. Nice evisceration.

Logically, shouldn't "begin with the end in mind" be habit #1 anyway?

Stephen Thanks, Ian. I agree with you that "begin with the end in mind" should always be #1, but I don't think they invited logic to many of the meetings when they were putting this manual together.

message 40: by Ian (new)

Ian Vinogradus I should also have mentioned #3.

I like Doctor Who's approach:

"First things first, but not necessarily in that order."

He's also revealing about logic:

"Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

Stephen Well said, sir. Sadly, I am not as familiar with the work of the good Doctor as I should be. I believe it is time I change that for he appears to have much wisdom to impart.

message 42: by Ian (new)

Ian Vinogradus There's plenty of time before the film comes out.

Stephen Very nice. I hadn't heard about that. I have much catching up to do.

message 44: by Ian (new)

Ian Vinogradus #'s 2 and 3 seem to have created a dilemma for him that he didn't recognise.

Manny Bird Brian wrote: "Ian wrote: "Logically, shouldn't "begin with the end in mind" be habit #1 anyway?"

Clearly, this represents the author's failure to "put first things first"."

I must defend Mr. Covey. You can't begin with the end in mind or put first things first if you aren't proactive. It's a prerequisite if you're going to get anything done.

Stephen I think we are forgetting the most grievous failing of the book...a complete absence of David Hasselhoff.

message 47: by Ian (new)

Ian Vinogradus Maybe we should think of it as circular reasoning where you can just jump in wherever you like.

Bird Brian wrote: "I find his eagerness to follow step #1 (be proactive) severely hampers his ability to achieve #5 (seek first to understand...)"

#8: Listen first to the likes of Brian.

message 48: by Ian (new)

Ian Vinogradus Aren't they "highly protective people"?

Stephen Bird Brian wrote: "Stephen, does the presence of both David Hasselhoff and Pamela Anderson in this review imply a connection between Baywatch and The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People..."

Call me a cynic Brian but I think the more important connection is between the success of both Baywatch as entertainment and Crack as a drug and the CIA. Nothing but shadowy government assistance can explain the success of a TV show featuring both of those "actors."

message 50: by Robert (new)

Robert I figured they'd be highly defective people...

« previous 1