Laurel Bradshaw's Reviews > The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

Jan 13, 15

bookshelves: 20th-century, mystery, africa, botswana, 1st-of-series
Read from April 28 to May 01, 2014

Tried the audiobook several years ago and just couldn't get into it. I think the narrator's accent was hard to understand. Then I watched the TV series and loved it so much I bought it. Charming, funny, with some dark drama, and wonderful photography. It made me want to know more about Botswana. I am also a big fan of Alexander McCall Smith's 44 Scotland Street series. I watched the TV show again recently with my mom, and she wanted to read the book, so I decided this was a good time to do the same. It's still charming, but I think it lacks something of the humor and drama of the TV series. The various cases seemed more tied together in the TV series, and we had the back story of her first marriage to Note Makoti underlying the romantic tension between Mma Ramotswe and Mr. J.L.B. Matakone. I'm continuing with the second book because the TV series did draw from more than was in the first book, and we'll see if more of the backstory is there.

Book description: This first novel in Alexander McCall Smith’s widely acclaimed The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series tells the story of the delightfully cunning and enormously engaging Precious Ramotswe, who is drawn to her profession to “help people with problems in their lives.” Immediately upon setting up shop in a small storefront in Gaborone, she is hired to track down a missing husband, uncover a con man, and follow a wayward daughter. But the case that tugs at her heart, and lands her in danger, is a missing eleven-year-old boy, who may have been snatched by witchdoctors.

Series info:

11. The double comfort safari club
12. The Saturday big tent wedding party
13. The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection
14. The minor adjustment beauty salon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

08/14/2013 marked as: to-read