Kathryn Blake's Reviews > The Heart of the Rose

The Heart of the Rose by Kathryn Meyer Griffith

Apr 27, 2011

liked it
Read in April, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I was expecting a romance with paranormal elements. However, this book is a historical novel with romantic and paranormal elements. The novel was set in the time period of Edward IV during The War of the Roses. An interesting time, to be sure, but not one I've often read about. And even though I suspect Ms. Griffith may have taken some liberties with her historical figures, her writing gives a vivid portrayal of the time. Especially the hardships of the peasants who labored to serve their often thoughtless and uncaring masters.

I agree with points of the earlier review, which provides readers with a fairly accurate summation of the novel, although I wasn't bored by the book, and I didn't view Bronwyn as a "Mary Sue."

There were descriptions of the Earl of Warwick that intrigued me. I kept hoping he'd come to his senses and realize just how badly he was treating Bronwyn. The man was clearly obsessed by her, so I was disappointed when he continued his cruel and savage handling of her. Therefore, I have to agree that his character was more of a "stock" villain for Bronwyn than a true historical representation of "The Kingmaker."

Edward IV's younger brother "Dickon" eventually becomes Richard III. And though I'm not convinced he was the evil villain Shakespeare claimed murdered Edward's two sons, he did usurp the throne, so I couldn't reconcile him as being Edward's "favorite."

Admittedly The Heart of the Rose is not a fast-paced story. However, I would recommend it to anyone who likes their history dappled with a touch of romance and the paranormal, but does not require a "happily ever after" ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart of the Rose.