Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Lizzie Nonsense: A Story of Pioneer Days

Lizzie Nonsense by Jan Ormerod

Nov 11, 11

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, historical-fiction, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Read on November 11, 2011

This is a lovely, lovely book about a child’s imagination. And it’s based on the childhoods of the grandmother and mother of the author-illustrator.

This is the story of Lizzie, living with her mother and baby sibling, and her sometimes absent father who has to travel for work, living in extreme isolation in the Australian bush (they even have to pretend to go to church each week as it’s too far to actually travel to it). Lizzie uses her imagination and make-believe to make life more enjoyable; to transform the drudgery and what could be boredom into exciting adventures and fun moments. Even the protestations that what Lizzie says are nonsense adds to the fun, I think for both mother and daughter.

It bothered me though that the baby was always referred to as baby, no name given. I can see why this was done deliberately and I do get it, but it still didn’t work for me.

The illustrations are wonderful! They did a fine job of telling the story and complementing it, and I love the artwork. I want to see more of this illustrator’s work!

This would be a fine book to introduce children to the facts of pioneer life, and is appropriate for children too young for the Little House books, for example.

4 ½ stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lizzie Nonsense.