Jen C (ReadinginWBL)'s Reviews > Mothers and Other Liars

Apr 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-read-in
Read in March, 2011

The title and cover of this book really is what made me grab it off the new fiction self at the library. In reflecting on the title, Mothers & Other Liars, I am left wondering who the other liars were. This book started off good for me, got a little slow in the middle, but picked up again towards the end. Mothers & Other Liars reads a bit like a book by Jodi Picoult. It is an emotional read that in the heart of it examines the debate of Nurture vs. Nature. The book though not very long it is comprised of 117 chapters. I really disliked the way the book was written in very short chapters. I felt this distracted from the flow of the story and left the story with a choppy feeling.

Mothers & Other Liars did have me thinking about what I would do if I found an abandoned baby. I have never been in the situation that Ruby was in, but as a mother I am not sure I would make the same decisions she did regarding her solution to her problem. As I was reading the book, I was yelling at Ruby and saying, “A mother would not do that”. My hubby thought I was crazy! It just wasn’t realistic to me and it bugged me. I do believe that Ruby loved Lark and would do anything for her. Once the twists are revealed the conclusion of the story became very predictable. The ending of Mothers & Other Liars was all tidied up and presented as a happy little package with a bow on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mothers and Other Liars.