Jen C (ReadinginWBL)'s Reviews > In the Woods

In the Woods by Tana French

Jun 14, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read-in, book-group, 4-star-rating
Read in March, 2011

In The Woods is Tana French’s debut novel. French won the 2008 Edgar Award for the best first novel with In The Woods. Ok, ok…true confessions here. This book is very suspenseful and I just could not take it, so I read the ending. Don’t do this! Even though I knew part of the mystery, the book was still a very good read.

In the Woods was a monthly selection for my book group. The group’s discussion was very good. I was very surprised by the different theories the members had about the ending of the book and what really happened. The characters were very well developed. We all really liked Cassie Maddox and Sam. Ryan received mixed reviews. Everyone agreed that Tana French did an amazing job in describing the setting. The village of Knocknaree, a suburb of Dublin, has a life of it’s own. A few of us were even a bit frightened by the woods. If you like a nice ending all wrapped up, you may be disappointed in the ending. We all were a bit frustrated by the ending, but are looking forward to reading the next book. This is not a quick read. The complexity of French’s descriptions/voice has the reader reading closely as to not miss anything.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Woods.