Zeek's Reviews > The Rake

The Rake by Mary Jo Putney

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: hist-rom, romance
Read in December, 2007

Reggie, The hero has a drinking problem AND he’s a notorious womanizer. Lo and behold when he meets Alys, the heroine and the reformer to his reformee- he wants to change.

Although this is the biggest fantasy/fallacy pet peeve out there for me in romance, (in other words, the dream that our love can actually change a man), I went along with it because hey, that's why i read romance- to get away from reality. But I will give that it doesnt always work for me, if it feels too implausable.

The reason it worked for me here? Because the author didn’t instantly change Reggie. He was already on the path to change before he met Alys, she simply moved him along. And he fell off the wagon more than once. There are many elements in this story we’ve seen before- Unconventional beauty, a naughty hero ready to be reformed , and a baddie who wants to destroy them both - but the author presents it in a way that is wholly her own.

I’m way late to this one. It came out originally in ’89 then a slightly updated version (the version I read) came out in ’98. But this is one I consider a timeless original- even if it is 20 years old!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rake.