Tracey's Reviews > Empire of Ivory

Empire of Ivory by Naomi Novik

Aug 13, 11

bookshelves: re-read, audiobook, needs-review, libraryread, libraryread-idm, alt-history
Read from August 05 to 13, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Previously read Feb 2008 - started audiobook Aug 5, 2011

Sigh - now I'm all caught up on the series & have to wait for the next one! I've enjoyed my trip with Laurence and Temeraire so far, but IMHO this last novel was probably my least favorite of the four.

[spoiler space]

I felt as if we spent too much time in Deepest Darkest Africa, despite the important plot points that the sojurn provided to the overall story. (However, I did enjoy the African history "excerpt" at the end of the novel) I'm guessing that the next installments will take us to North & South America, then perhaps to Australia, to cover all the continents? :^)

While I find the general concept of dragon suffrage intriguing, the comparisons between the human slave trade and the dragon's current situation are getting perilously close to "beating a dead horse".

I've come to expect the cliffhanger endings with this series - I'm not at all surprised that Laurence & Temeraire did what they did at the end (trying not to spoil even more) - but I do wonder how serious the consequences will really be.

Despite my complaints - I'm still looking forward to the next Temeraire novel - tho will probably get it from the library, rather than buying it on my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Ivory.