Mti Librarian's Reviews > Empire

Empire by Orson Scott Card

This is a great futuristic, political, thriller. The first few chapters jump quickly forward in time, touching on the highlights of Major Reuben Malich's career. Malich is working on special assignment at the Pentagon when Captain Bartholomew Coleman is assigned to assist him. Pretty much as soon as these two get together the shit hits the fan. (view spoiler)

I listened to this book during a lengthy car trip with my husband. It was the perfect compromise of intellectual espionage for me and military action for him. The narrator has a fabulous deep sexy voice that would probably make the phone book enticing. Card himself does the chapters and initial quote, which is a nice touch. I will admit that I didn't finish this book. I was at Chapter 19 when our trip ended, and couldn't wait or coordinate listening to it with my husband, so I read the summary on Wikipedia. Very effective, and my guesses about the ending were right! This book was developed as a possible 'entertainment franchise' which I take to mean TV miniseries, but I also see the potential for a sequel or trilogy here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire.