Fani's Reviews > 32 Candles

32 Candles by Ernessa T. Carter

The heroine is a girl growing up in a small Mississipi town with her abusive mother. Her mother doesn't care for her at all, she has no friends in school and everyone laughs at her because she's black as the night and ugly compared to her beautiful mother who's more or less the town whore. At some point she even stops talking and she becomes known as the town's weirdo. Her only consolation is Mollie Ringwald's movies, where the ugly duckling may suffer and get ridiculed, but in the end she always manages to land the prince.

One day a new, rich family comes to town, and one look at James Farrell has the heroine falling heads over heels for him. And if Ringwald's movies have it right, he will soon come to see her and fall in love with her right? Well, it turns out she's very wrong and after a prank James's sister pull on her, Davidia leaves town and goes to LA, where surprisingly she starts a new career as a sexy, lounge singer. But one day the past comes to haunt her again; James Farrell appears at her nightclub and seems immediately lovestruck by her new personna. Can Davidia/Davie have her Mollie Ringwald ending after all?

For one, I really, really liked this one. It was smart, it was witty, it was fan and also very emotional at some points. The heroine who's POV we listen to during the whole length of the book was great and very likable and I really hoped she'd get her Mollie Ringwald ending.

That was until some past actions of hers are revealed. To say that I was shocked would be an understatement. I never saw that coming and at that point I actually hated her. I didn't believe I could ever get over that and forgive her again, yet somehow Ernessa Carter convinced me that she was not undeserving of a second chance. Still, I could never love her again the way I did before the revelations and that killed the 'keeper' status for me. All in all, a great audiobook with a wonderful narrator, which was just short of perfect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 32 Candles.

05/05/2011
10.0% "Love the writing and the reader's voice."
05/06/2011
35.0% "Really, really liking it!"
05/06/2011
50.0% "This is getting better and better! Davidia is one amazing heroine and James's not half as bad either. Great stuff:)"
05/09/2011
70.0% "Secrets in Romancelandia: The cliche to end all cliches:) There isn't a single reader who doesn't know how it will end."
05/10/2011
75.0% "Oh.My.God. Can a book be saved when it's revealed that the heroine is an evil, vindictive bitch? Why did she have to put that in, when the rest of the book was so nice?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine You've made me very curious. What were her past actions that put a bad taste in your mouth? Spoil me please!

Fani (view spoiler)

She later made up for all these (after the hero found out and confronted her), I mean she tried to rebuilt all those lives she destroyed, but it was kind of too much, wasn't it? I mean, it's a sign of pure meaness and instability IMO, thaat you can't just ignore because she later repented. Am I wrong?

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Jeez. Regretting it or not, she sounds pretty unstable. She really needed to get over herself. That was way too far. Crap like that would make me stay far, far away from her for fear she'd snap again one day.

message 4: by Fani (last edited May 15, 2011 10:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani I know. It was a wonder that I ended liking the book anyway, but I can't say I liked the heroine too. I kept wishing she wouldn't get her HEA after all! I felt she didn't deserve it no matter what. But as a book, as chick lit, it was very nice and engaging so I decided to go with the 4 stars. The heroine gets 1 star for me though:)

I wonder what she'll do if the hero pisses her off in the future though...

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine No kidding! He better watch himself.

Fani I guess a more perfect boyfriend has never existed, lol!

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Jeez, that woman sounds terrifying! I'd run in the opposite direction! I wouldn't want to wake up dead! ;)

Fani Well, supposedly she studies psychology later and realized how crazy what she did was (why would she need a degree to realize that is scary though) and became a better person. But it was creepy. And the bad thing is how great a heroine she was until these actions were revealed:(

Krista (One Love) (Critical) I hate that! When you really like a character and suddenly the author throws in the crazy curveball that makes no sense and ruins the character. It's almost better they be unlikable all the time. And I doubt someone crazy enough to do what she did would ever admit to being crazy.

message 10: by Fani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani I admit, that it's better to start with someone you dislike and wne with it, than having someone so good ruined completely:( It p*ssed me off!

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Fani wrote: "Well, supposedly she studies psychology later and realized how crazy what she did was (why would she need a degree to realize that is scary though) and became a better person. But it was creepy. An..."

I had that same thought. I read the line about her studying psychology and realizing what she did was wrong and was pretty shocked. Crazy needed to study psychology to realize it's not okay to crap like that?!?!?

message 12: by Fani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani Yeap, she didn't realize before studying it that she was in fact a stalker. I'm not sure I can believe that a stalker can later learn to love that same person purely, without that craziness...