Colleen's Reviews > The Initiate Brother

The Initiate Brother by Sean Russell

F_50x66
Apr 27, 11

Read in April, 2011

The Initiate Brother is a hefty novel written in 1990 or so. It has plenty of interesting Eastern mysticism, but what caught my literary attention was the careful building up of each separate person's house of cards.

The plot is... ordinary. A powerful, intelligent man is set up by an animous emperor to go "save" the northern lands while everyone around him plots self-aggrandizement or others' ruin. What makes this book fascinating is the pagentry of the characters. We are almost all-knowing in our external observation of the action, as Sean Russell's story slides from from monologue to aside to sotto voce to subtle confrontation and back again. Violence is explosive and apologetic at the same time. Manners and mannerisms are constantly on stage, and verbal manipulation is a requirement. To me, my enjoyment was in each exchange, with motivation entirely secondary to the presentation.

While I definitely enjoyed reading The Initiate Brother, I may or may not bother with the next book. This book was entertainment in the present tense, and I have no drive to find out what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Initiate Brother.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ambyr (new)

ambyr I would recommend book 2--I thought it was even stronger than the first.