Kressel Housman's Reviews > Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers

Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office by Lois P. Frankel

Dec 26, 13

bookshelves: non-fiction, psychology, career-development, business, self-help
Read from April 27 to May 04, 2011

This is the first book I read from the bibliography of Anne Kreamer's It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace, and I found it much more skills-based and practical. The author's main theme is, "Quit being a girl," by which she means to toot your own horn and stand up for yourself because high quality work alone won't get you noticed and promoted. The corporate world is prejudiced against girls and can't envision them beyond the secretarial pool. Women, in contrast, get ahead with the right efforts.

The first chapter contains a questionnaire of the "very true/sometimes true/sometimes false/very false" variety with questions as diverse as, "Do you apply lipstick in public?" and "Do you phrase your statements as questions?" Each of these questions relates to one of seven categories: 1) how you act 2) think 3) work 4) play 5) look 6) sound 7) market. Each category has its own chapter, so the author recommends that you read the chapters corresponding to the areas in which you scored lowest. My lowest scores were in act, play, and market, but I think my worst drawback is my soft soprano voice. Other than taking voice lessons, which I can't afford anyway, there's not much I can do about it. Interestingly, my best score was in look, which just goes to show that modesty in dress enhances a woman's respectability. But this self-promoting stuff. . . that goes against the tzniusdiggeh grain.

According to the book, though, there's plenty else I can do, and while I was reading it, I definitely applied some of its advice, like insisting that my boss stop sending me out to Starbucks and engaging in more office chit-chat because relationships matter. But it's been a few weeks since then, and I've fallen back into my old passive ways. Still, it was good advice, and I intend to read more from this author and the books she cites. I wish I'd learned these lessons long ago!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris Sounds like something I should read if I ever go back into the workplace. Right now, I work part-time from home, and 75% of my clients just assume I'm a man because of my name...LOL. Oh how I loathed being sent on personal errands by bosses. I was an admin. assistant, not a "personal assistant."

Kressel Housman What's your home business? Editing?

The Starbucks runs began because my boss broke his foot. As soon as that cast was off, though, I wasn't going to do it anymore.

message 3: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris Yes, freelance editing (for both businesses and individual authors) and content writing for websites. I used to do newsletter design as well, but I haven't had any work in that area for over a year.

Kressel Housman What type of websites? And where can I get work like that?