Kathryn Houghton's Reviews > Slammerkin

Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue

Jun 04, 12

Read in June, 2012

It's hard for me to give an honest assessment of this book since one of the reviews in the front material gave away the ending. My thought: If Emma Donoghue wanted the reader to know why Mary was in jail before the reveal around page 350, she would have put it in the damn prologue. But she didn't, and that was a big part of the tension that pulled me through the book, so thanks, reviewer, for deciding you know better than the author.

Spoiler aside, I was intrigued by Mary's character—particularly by how I disliked her, disagreed with almost all of her decisions, and yet was still rooting for her. I think that's an incredibly difficult and amazing thing for an author to pull off, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how she did it. I think one thing was how she had various other characters show us Mary through their own eyes. I think I would have liked to have seen this from Doll, too, but the change in how the author employed POV from part one to part two did seem to reflect the both Mary's character and circumstances, so I'm not exactly complaining.

All in all, a good book. But seriously, don't read the reviews first. Seriously.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammerkin.