Craig a.k.a Meatstack's Reviews > A Short History of Nearly Everything

bookshelves: 2011, audiobook, science, favorites, library
Recommended for: Everyone with the slightest interest in Science
Read from September 21 to October 09, 2011, read count: 1

What an amazing book.

First off, this book is an enigma. I'm not sure how he packed so much science and so many back stories into this book. Sure, it's big, but reads fast and easy.

But Mr. Bryson accomplishes just that. You don't just learn who discovered what, you learn who almost discovered it, and how wacky and singular those people were.

that will carry you into the second act, where we not only learn the science and the back stories, but scenarios that could occur - at any time - that could scare the crap out of you.

Books like this is exactly what science needs. difficult concepts reduced to a level that challenges your intellect, but does not patronize, nor talk above your head. Mixed with the people-behind-the-test-tube aspect, and you have something that should be required reading for anyone who has ever gotten an xray, looked up at the night sky, or pondered evolution.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of Nearly Everything.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new) - added it

Dave I'm contemplating the audiobook to listen to with my 10 yo, think she'll understand it?

Craig a.k.a Meatstack I do, but might lose focus on occasion. Some of the science might be over the typical 10yr old head.