Carol's Reviews > The Body in the Gazebo

The Body in the Gazebo by Katherine Hall Page

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: 2011, cozy-mysteries
Read from April 27 to November 03, 2011

Sometimes a mystery does not to be a page turner to be enjoyed. Katherine Hall Page, the author had several spinning plates in the air at the same time with this story. The sleuth in this story is Faith Fairchild. I haven't read any of the previous books of this series so this is a new experience for me.

Faith Fairchild 's long time friend, Pix, is going to her son's wedding party and rehearsals and she feels unsure of herself. Another friend of Faith's, Niki, told her that she just found out that she was pregnant and didn't want to tell her husband. Faith's husband has a big problem of his own. There is $10,000 missing from the church's discretionary fund. Will he loose his job?

To top it all, Pix's mother, Ursula, is compelled to tell Faith a richly detailed story that include family secrets and also requires action from Faith! It was this story that drew me in the most. This family tale goes from just before the Great Depression to Depression. It includes important facts unknown to even Pix, her daughter. Since I love historical fiction this really hooked me. I was struck by telling of differences in living situations that the Great Depression made to the rich socialites. The setting was mostly, Martha's Vineyard and Aleford. Martha's Vineyard is very different from Aleford, both in the beauty of the physical surroundings and the feeling of the place.

The whole book is fairly light and entertaining but it also whets my interest for more books set in the time period of what I call Ursula's family story. I must say that I am glad that I am not Faith Fairchild and I wonder in the other books in the series, doesn't she always have too much on her plate? This is so ironic because I wondered while I was reading, why are there plates on the cover of the book and only a cut off portion of the gazebo that is in the title. Now I understand.

I recommend this book to all who love light mysteries.

I received this book as part of the Amazon Vine program but that in no way influenced my review. My thoughs are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body in the Gazebo.

04/28/2011 page 22