Amber's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

bookshelves: inspiration
Read in March, 2008

Quotes Amber Liked

Audrey Niffenegger
“I never understood why Clark Kent was so hell bent on keeping Lois Lane in the dark.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“Long ago, men went to sea, and women waited for them, standing on the edge of the water, scanning the horizon for the tiny ship. Now I wait for Henry. He vanishes unwillingly, without warning. I wait for him. Each moment that I wait feels like a year, an eternity. Each moment is as slow and transparent as glass. Through each moment I can see infinite moments lined up, waiting. Why has he gone where I cannot follow?”

Audrey Niffenegger
“I am suddenly comsumed by nostalgia for the little girl who was me, who loved the fields and believed in God, who spent winter days home sick from school reading Nancy Drew and sucking menthol cough drops, who could keep a secret.”
tags: life

Audrey Niffenegger
“It's hard being left behind. (...) It's hard to be the one who stays.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“The compelling thing about making art - or making anything, I suppose - is the moment when the vaporous, insubstantial idea becomes a solid there, a thing, a substance in a world of substances.”

Audrey Niffenegger
“I wanted someone to love who would stay: stay and be there, always.”