Ulina's Reviews > High Performance JavaScript

High Performance JavaScript by Nicholas C. Zakas

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: tech-books
Read from April 26, 2011 to July 13, 2012

I give it a 3.7. After three or four false starts, I was able to read this book until it was done. I think it took me a while to get into this book because in the beginning it felt like he spent forever just talking about scopes. It could also have been that back then the Nook (Color)? didn't support pdf books as well as it does today. Mostly meaning it didn't save what page you were on last. Every time you open the pdf, it started back at the beginning.

After a few pages, and I was able to get into a groove with the book. I feel like it was a very thorough book in terms of giving you choices on how you can make your code more efficient and why. The only issue I had and he may have mentioned this but I missed it, is that in all his examples you had multiple var declarations in each example. That isn't very efficient. If the code was jslinted, it would have failed. He didn't talk about the different ways of declaring functions and which way is faster and why. Maybe it is out of the scope of this book and it falls under best coding practices. Either way, I would recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Performance JavaScript.

11/10/2011 page 55
05/29/2012 page 82
34.0% "I'm reading this pdf of 3 different devices. Goodreads is helping me remember where I am. Thanks GR!"
05/31/2012 page 90
38.0% "Only 3 pages because i was fighting to stay awake last night while reading it, lol."
07/12/2012 page 156