Jen's Reviews > Don't Tell Mom I Work on the Rigs: She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse

Don't Tell Mom I Work on the Rigs by Paul Carter

May 14, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, humor, memoirs, travel
Recommended to Jen by: my husband
Read in February, 2008

My husband read this book and handed it to me when he finished it with these instructions: "You have GOT to read this book!"

The author is an Australian bloke who spent a good portion of his life working on the oil rigs. He shares a lot of stories from his personal life. Lots of really funny stuff -- and lots of stories that make you wonder what th' ... ???

You don't have to have an understanding of how the oil rigs work when you pick this book up, but it probably helps. He does a pretty good job of explaining what he's talking about when it matters to the story, but there were a few details that were lost on me.

Overall, it's a pretty good book. The stories in and of themselves are worth reading, but I think I'd have enjoyed it far more if I knew more about the oil rigs. (My husband used to work on the oil rigs, so it meant a lot more to him.)

Warning -- if you're opposed to vulgar language, don't pick it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Tell Mom I Work on the Rigs.