Eastofoz's Reviews > To the Ends of the Earth

Feb 25, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary, 2010
Recommended for: Readers who prefer 80s style romances

What a suck-all read and an overall waste of time. After the first 100 pages it felt like the story was being rehashed endlessly because the author didn’t know what else to write. I had to virtually skim read my way to the end to get through it.

The story is about Cat, a successful photographer who’s having a hard time making ends meet because she’s financially responsible for way too many moochers in her family. Her clients don’t pay her, she has bills and creditors up the wazoo and her health suffers drastically because she works round the clock but she still keeps taking on new jobs in the hopes that in a few months everything will be better. Initially she comes across as a tough as nails heroine but really she’s just another doormat waiting for the right jerk-off to walk all over her. And in walks the hero, Travis, one of the most annoying characters I’ve read in a while. He came across as some geezer instead of a guy in his 30s. All he talks about is how rich he is and that he can buy his women because he’s not getting burned again after a failed marriage. All his "I have so much money and I can buy anything" crap just grated like nails on the chalk board. His incessant bragging made him look insecure (which I don’t think was the author’s intention) instead of “manly and virile”. Granted this romance was written in the 80s and they were a bit different then compared to now but I really can’t see how anyone could like these two even if you do like the pain in the butt alpha.

Cat’s character was moderately better than Travis’ but she took too much garbage from him and he needed to be kicked to the curb after the first time he called her a whore and a bitch. Better yet when he referred to all women like that you know this guy is flashing the ol’ neon forehead sign “I am a loser”. Their sparring was more like petulant children who needed a good time-out than adults who don’t know how to convey their feelings to one another. Travis was always suspicious of Cat and if you add that to the “you’re nothing but a slutty whore like all the others” over and over well I don’t know why she kept giving him that “one more chance” :-/ She also sounded like a walking skeleton with all her health issues so I found it very hard to believe that she could work as much as she did. A near rape scene with one of her clients by the beach was treated like nothing more than an aggressive flirtation –the guy said he was going to have her whether she wanted it or not and he was forcing her to the ground --had me bug-eyed. She went about her merry way after and continued working with him because of her “contract” (!) and even the hero didn’t bash his head in when he saw it happening --???????

There was way too much photography info filler about colour, light, shadow play blah blah blah that got on my nerves. There’s one of those cutesy 6 year old kids that everyone gushes over but that gets in the way one time to many causing easily avoidable trouble. There’s a sad part almost like Linda Howard’s Cry No More where the heroine is nearly catatonic but in no way is it as well done. The romance itself, though more on the hot side, felt dated almost like an older Judith McNaught contemporary. I didn't think that the h/h were compatible so I couldn't believe in their "love" --how do you love someone who blows like the wind one day treating you like you're lower than dirt and the next day singing your praises?? I also thought the writing was overly flowery and that there was a hyper use of adjectives in general. Lowell went overboard on some of the description and she could've taken out a thesaurus to find some other way to describe the hero's ‘tourmaline eyes’ and ‘tawny hair’ –ack the repetition! She also tried too hard with the feline references for ‘Cat’. At one point you’re wondering if she really is a cat 8-/ What I did like was the beach front setting. She did a good job painting the picture of this white beach house all fresh and sparkling with the sea for a view.

So, unlikeable characters, a story that doesn’t move and over the top writing just makes for one bad book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Ends of the Earth.

01/01/2010 page 100
26.04% "Very nice beach feel." 2 comments
01/02/2010 page 185
48.18% "Getting boring and the hero is a pain in the a-- :-/"
01/02/2010 page 384
100.0% "Finally it's over :-/" 4 comments
06/21/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by new_user (last edited Jan 03, 2010 02:27PM) (new)

new_user Haha, 80s.

Eastofoz new_user wrote: "Haha, 80s.

Ugh, there are too many of those repetitive descriptions in romance nowadays. I understand it's difficult to find new words sometimes, but sheesh. "

NU I'm telling you it was as if the author really liked those adjectives and then every few pages we'd get the same descriptions. Where are the editors already???

message 3: by Rane (new)

Rane urg, go 80s!
I know things were done differntly back in the day, but 80s book always end up Pissing me off with the same old doormat female and the a-hole male hero *gags* I think that's where much of my Alpha Male hate came from (bad 80s romance books!)

Eastofoz Rane wrote: "urg, go 80s!

LOL! I can't say I've had much luck with the ones I've read and they've often come HIGHLY recommended!

message 5: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim At least this one didn't make it to the cootie shelf! lol

message 6: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Ugh, so not for me! East, how did it escape the "cootie shelf"?

Eastofoz Auntee wrote: "Ugh, so not for me! East, how did it escape the "cootie shelf"?"

Kim and Auntee, it escaped the cootie shelf because the author did a very good job with the beach scene throughout the book. You really got that "beachy" feel. And I figured it's an 80s romance and they were quite different to today's romance it seems so things I hated (like that glossed over near rape scene) are apparently 'normal' for those kinds of books I've been told. Still doesn't change the fact that this book was a colossal waste of my time 8-)

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy ROTFL! Another awesome review!

Eastofoz LOL! Thanks Tammy ;) Keep far away from this book --you'd totally hate the hero :-o

message 10: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Okay, I get it. There's some books I liked in the 80s that I doubt would stand up to today's times.:)

Eastofoz I've read older style medievals and I've liked some of them. I think it's the contemporaries that just don't work for me.

message 12: by Amma (new)

Amma This was really funny, given that I haven't rad the book... Yet :p

Eastofoz Lol ;) Thanks!

Andrea Hussey Great review! I felt the exact same way. Especially about the flowery speech, repetition of info, and the ridiculous overuse of the words tourmaline, tawny and blue-green. When I noticed how often she used them, I went back and started keeping track of every time. I am so done with books from the 80s, especially Lowell's, because I can't take another verbally and emotionally abusive scumbag that's supposed to pass for a hero, and this is the only type of man Lowell likes.

Eastofoz Andrea wrote: "Great review! I felt the exact same way. Especially about the flowery speech, repetition of info, and the ridiculous overuse of the words tourmaline, tawny and blue-green. When I noticed how often ..."

Thanks :) 80s era reads are not my favourite either. The heroes I've read are often excessively scummy which I don't like and the writing is just too unnatural for me to like.

Andrea Hussey You're welcome! It's the hero and the over-the-top writing that kills it. This is my last book from the 80's, that's for sure!