Reena Jacobs's Reviews > Hunger

Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: 2011-reads, reviewed
Recommended to Reena by: Karen from For What It's Worth
Recommended for: "If you have ever looked in the mirror and hated what you saw."
Read from May 06 to 08, 2011 — I own a copy

Read my full review on my blog:

This book started off pretty strong. I’ve never really given much thought to the inner thoughts of individuals with eating disorders. Hunger brought a new awareness to me and in many ways touched home. Despite being surrounded by individuals who loved her, she still felt unworthy because of her appearance. I’ve stood in the mirror many times prodding my growing, squishy belly, wondering if my husband still finds me attractive… loves me as much as when we first met. High scores for the beginning.

Not sure how spoiler like the rest of this review is, so I’ll give you the warning now.

Toward the middle of the book, Lisa stepped into her horseman role–Famine. I think this aspect of the book missed the mark. When I think of famine, a shortage of food in an area comes to mind. In Hunger, the meaning of famine was blurred to resemble greed more than anything as she turned her anger toward individuals who ate freely or in excess–punishing them because they didn’t have the hangups about food like she did.

I’m really into paranormal, but the further I progressed into the book, the less realistic it became. The mystical aspects reached a point where I stopped believing a supernatural world like the one described existing.

Then I reached the ending–a chance to bring it full circle to Lisa’s issues of anorexia–and the author blew it. This work was a novella, but it really needed a bit more on the back end to have nailed it. For an issue as deep as anorexia, I really would have liked it to be worked out on paper rather than brushed under the rug with the idea she got the help she needed.

Recommendation: Despite the ending being substandard, I’d still recommend this work to anyone who has looked in the mirror and wished the reflection hosted an image other than what’s there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunger.

05/07/2011 page 8
5.0% "I had no idea this was a YA nove. I'm liking it." 2 comments
05/08/2011 page 111
63.0% "Still enjoying the book, but I do wonder about Famine being the right persona for my heroine. Seems more like Greed than anything."
05/08/2011 page 144
81.0% "This has gotten a bit too mystical for my liking."