Annabelle Marie Veronica's Reviews > Shades of Earth

Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

***FINAL RATING: 3.30 STARS***

CATCHALL
I love a good sci-fi series, especially the wild ones. It's not often we get to experience an entirely new planet, and it was fun to try that in this novel. It's fast-paced, almost a thriller, but doesn't quite reach this level. Even so, it's a major page turner that kept me up late into the night. This last installment was just as brill as the two books that came before. This review kind of makes it sound like I didn't love this book, but believe me, I did.

THE HERO
ELDER
Elder is okay, I guess. Not the best character ever. I like him more than Amy, which isn't actually saying much but still. He tries to be a good leader, but he's a teenager and we are not the best leaders. He tends to doubt himself when he needs to step up, but he also has no idea when to let go. He's an all right character, but he could have used some improving. I don't hate him, but I have no more real love for him. I used to like him more.

THE HEROINE
AMY
I'm not a huge Amy fan. She irritates the living hell out of me. She has these ideals and she's she freaking stubborn and her way is the right way and that is that. And we're supposed to just take that. Guys, Amy is what, seventeen? I sincerely doubt that she holds all the answers to the universe in her hands and that is not okay. She is always, always portrayed as being right in this book and she just really got on my nerves like nothing else.

THE PLOT
The number one thing that bothered me about this book: It was so freaking ridiculously liberal.

Granted, this is a personal issue. and, speaking frankly, I am a teenager and probably have not settled in permanent political views yet. But I was raised as a conservative, and my parents are conservative, and despite the fact that I am liberal in a few select aspects I am still, at this point in my life, mostly a conservative. So, this did affect me. I was so frustrated by all the things that Amy wanted to do and her ideas to govern the colony. However, those are my personal opinions and this might not bother anyone but me.

So, moving on. Shades of Earth is very, very fast-paced, but at other times it kind of drags. The pacing is weirdly off. It's always fast or slow, and kind of frustrating. I couldn't get a grip on it. I loved when it moved quickly. It was always fun to hear my heartbeat speed up, but that only made it all the more annoying when everything slowed down.

Love the concept, though, and the originality of it. It was fun to explore a new setting. The previous two books took place on the ship, but this one moves away from that. Instead, there's a new planet. New dangers. Unexpected twists. Some things were way too coincidental and unrealistic, but if I let that go and simply enjoyed this for what it was, I had a lot more fun.

All in all, I did love this. It wasn't perfect, but perfection is relative anyway. I truly enjoyed this.

THE ROMANCE
I am not necessarily a huge fan of Amy and Elder's romance. I don't hate it, but it's so goddamn boring. They have no chemistry whatsoever. It's sweet but it lacks substance. I was much more willing to ship Amy with the creepy Chris, who I really didn't like at all, which says a lot. Still, if they want to live a passion-less life together I suppose that's their choice. It felt a lot like a first love thing and just didn't have that extra oomph.

THE WRITING
Beth has gorgeous writing when it comes to description. She describe Centauri-Earth so vividly that it's almost like we're actually there. There's an incredible level of sensory detail. However, I am not a fan of Amy's and Elder's voice. They just come off to me as so immature and irritating. They've improved since the beginning, but they still needed work. They also aren't nearly distinct enough. I understand the dual-POV thing, but if you're going to do that you need to have distinct, separate voices.

THE ENDING
I really think that Shades of Earth reached a wonderful ending. It was far from clean, but it was realistic. There's death and destruction and everything isn't neat. There's going to still be changes that have to be made, and they're going to have to rebuild their lives. But it's not a cliffhanger as much as it simply is an open ending. There's more to come, but for us, the story is over. At least for now. However, I wouldn't object to a novella set in this world in the future.

WRAPUP
Not that the Across the Universe series has come to an end, I absolutely cannot wait to see what Beth spins for us next. I'm sure it'll be full of sparkles and romance, and I'm definitely excited. Whether she moves away from sci-fi or stays within the genre, I have high hopes that I'll love it. For old fans of this series, you need to pick this book up ASAP. If you're new to this series, I highly recommend it even if you're queasy about the sic-fi stuff. It's that good.

FINE.

Find more of my reviews on Sparkles and Lightning!
117 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Earth.

10/02/2012 page 1
0.0% "EEEEEEE!!!! I'M SO PUMPED FOR THIS ONE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!"
10/03/2012 page 137
34.0% "Loving this so far."
10/04/2012 page 210
52.0% "This is so frexing good."

message 1: by Brandon (new) - added it

Brandon I know right!!?? i agree with you, it drives me up the wall knowing i have to wait so long!!!

Erin Ugh...I just now got into the series, have read both books then realized I have another year to wait til the third. I'm the type of person who likes to read all the books in a series at once, so this is soooooo hard.

"That is just cruel." You're right. Le sigh.

Scarlet Heavens It amazes me how people assumed that the author will take Amy and Elder to Centauri-Earth in the second book. I knew I would have to wait for the third one even before the ending, so I am not that much disappointed, but I agree that it is cruel.

Duchess Oh god, just read the third books description oh god oh god yess yesss

Sarah I totally agree - terrrible cover!

message 6: by Alein (new) - added it

Alein Thank you! I totally agree!

Yadi the cover is killing me right now its frexing horrible!

the golden witch. Probably will be buying it but REALLY not digging this cover. :(

message 9: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca I'll buy it because I MUST know what happens but why have they changed the cover design AGAIN! None of my books are going to match. Since the first book ALSO got a new cover for the PB. I'll just take the dust jacket off when I read it and then once it goes on the bookcase I'll just see the spine and not the fugly cover lol.

Dalea Sabrina What the HELL is with this cover? It doesn't look a thing like the other two...and I love the other two!! Seriously, what the hell?!?!

message 11: by Jmbswim (new) - added it

Jmbswim I so agree. That pretty much just sums up my feelings, but I'm going to give reading the book a chance because I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!

Dalea Sabrina Of course I'm going to read it. I'm just SO disappointed by the cover :(

Booklover6 I soooo agree about the cover! Then again, I am absolutely desperate to know what happens in the book so I think I probably will buy it! Thoiugh I don't want to, principles and all that!

Mallory I'd like to point out that you actually only have to wait 6 months, not a year. Also, if you're so distraught over the ending of the second book, then it shouldn't matter what the cover of the third book looks like. You should want to read it regardless.

Skylee I actually really like the cover.

message 16: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I agree about the cover, but unfortunately the spanish version- which happens to be much much cooler, is in, well. Spanish. Plus the spanish version has a different name, too. Godspeed- The arrival... personally I think this title/cover is cooler, but of course it is in Spanish- just my luck... But I like how she stuck true with the title themes as in book 1 and 2. :)

Annabelle Marie Veronica I'm not a fan of the cover, but I know some people love it. And while I won't be buying a hard copy of this one, I'll still definitely be reading it. x

message 18: by Iso (new) - added it

Iso M I think this cover might just be the one they are showing right now and not the final cover. Hopefully because this cover doesn't even live close up to across the universe and a million suns! So hopefully this isn't the final cover!

message 19: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Iso wrote: "I think this cover might just be the one they are showing right now and not the final cover. Hopefully because this cover doesn't even live close up to across the universe and a million suns! So ho..."

I've read from reliable sources (on the author's facebook) that this is definitely the cover. It lines up with the new covers of the paperback books for Across the Universe and A Million Suns. It's a sad day. :(

Dalea Sabrina Looking at the cover again I guess it's not hideous. I just really dislike it because it's nothing like the others and the others are awesome and better

message 21: by Teak (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teak wow harsh statements...I love the cover! what would you expect it to look like? I mean they are going to be on land! Finally!

Rashika (is tired) i am pretty sure there is going to be another cover.. because the other two books have covers that match this one... so i am pretty sure that there is going to be at least one other cover.

Linda Really? You're concerned about the cover??? I think what's inside is way more important.

Rashika (is tired) Linda wrote: "Really? You're concerned about the cover??? I think what's inside is way more important."
Good point.. but hey we all like buying books with pretty covers. :P

Annabelle Marie Veronica Well sure, I'm still going to read it and all. But I would NEVER have picked up this series with that cover. Who wants to read a book with an ugly ass cover?

message 26: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Annabelle Marie Veronica wrote: "Well sure, I'm still going to read it and all. But I would NEVER have picked up this series with that cover. Who wants to read a book with an ugly ass cover?"

Those that don't judge a book by it's cover. Dur. :P

Annabelle Marie Veronica Covers are meant to be judged! If they weren't they'd all be white. ;)

Mallory Annabelle Marie Veronica wrote: "Covers are meant to be judged! If they weren't they'd all be white. ;)"

Some of the most beloved books in literature were published without covers. Jane Austen, Sir Walter Scott, F Scott Fitzgerald; Charles Dickens' novels were mostly published in a newspaper.

Rashika (is tired) Annabelle Marie Veronica wrote: "Well sure, I'm still going to read it and all. But I would NEVER have picked up this series with that cover. Who wants to read a book with an ugly ass cover?"

The new cover scheme was to attract male readers, now that i think about it i am glad they did it because this is a good series and it deserves to be loved by everyone. plus i still wanna buy the last book :P even with the cover.

Emily I'm still wondering if i should read the series. :\ looks like it's good though.

Rashika (is tired) Emily wrote: "I'm still wondering if i should read the series. :\ looks like it's good though."

Yes you should!!!! :D

message 32: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Wait how did you rate this if it's not out? Did you get an ARC or something?

Annabelle Marie Veronica Yeah, Penguin sent me an ARC :)

message 34: by Nicole (new) - added it