Mike's Reviews > Autobiography of a Yogi

Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda

M_50x66
Apr 26, 11

Read in April, 2011

I am only now learning how deeply Hinduism influenced Thoreau. In one of his letter he actually writes, "To some extent, and at rare intervals, even I am a yogi." So having just finished rereading Walden, I wanted to find out what he might have meant by being a yogi. A couple of synchronistic events lead to me this book, which is, they say, a spiritual classic. Maybe it is, but I sure found myself rolling my eyes a lot and heard myself utter more than a few incredulous oh brothers. And yet, and yet, I can see the connection, how those liberal, universal laws Thoreau spoke of in Walden are the universal laws to which the yogis, both ancient and modern, have attuned themselves enabling them to dismiss the self, the ego that perceives only separateness, and embrace the Self, the divinity within us that perceives only unity. “Only that day dawns to which we are awake,” wrote Thoreau, and that’s exactly the message in Autobiography of a Yogi. I’ll stick with Walden though. Thoreau may be a yogi, but he’s a grounded yogi. I don’t roll my eyes reading Thoreau.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autobiography of a Yogi.