MISS VAIN's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

"You're hot, big deal," I shot back, refusing to let his knowledge of my most intimate thoughts daunt me. "I'm attracted to a lot of hot guys. If Chris Hemsworth were here, I'd light him up like a firecracker with his fast I'd jump on him."

"And that would kill him," Vlad noted.

Oh wow!! Once again Jeaniene Frost has blown my mind!! While reading Once Burned I had the same euphoric feeling I had while reading Halfway To The Grave for the very first time. Although Bones and Vlad are completely different, right now I can easily say that Vlad has stolen my heart and Bones has some serious competition!! Once Burned is a spin-off series to The Night Huntress series, and now that I've read it I'm already eagerly anticipating the next installment. While luxuriating in this romantic story it was easy to imagine the arrogant and rightfully earned Vlad Tepesh looking as stunning as the cover model Paul Marron with his chiseled body and jaw dropping features. I'm in complete and unremorseful Fangirl mode about yet another well deserved fictional male character.

"That one tickled. If electrocution is your way of flirting, I commend you on your originality."

Meet Leila an outcast who also goes by the name Frankie.I absolutely adored Leila and I couldn't picture any other heroine playing her role. She's has had a dark and dreary past full of heartbreak and tragedy. What I admired most about Leila was that she embraced her nickname Frankie, shortened from Frankenstein and didn't let her disfigurement prevent her from living a fulfilling life of her choosing. Her freakishly horrific accident as a young girl occurred when she touched a downed power line that left her with a tragic yet awesomely cool disability. That disability came with consequences though because she is left scared and disfigured, yet still stunningly beautiful inside and outside. Not only must she avoid touching those she comes into contact with because she may electrocute them with her touch, but she also has the fascinating gift of psychometry. One of the most prolific character traits about Leila is that she doesn't allow her tragic past to dictate her future. She is strong willed, sassy and is determined not to live in fear of rejection or shame of her abilities that I found freakishly awesome. Wow, electrocuting an unsuspecting person with one touch, or reading another's past or future with one brief passing, how fascinating!

Bones nodded. "Better, but still not slit-your-own-throat annoying. Come on, Leila. Do you want this or not?" "Perfect. Repeat that whenever Tepesh is around you, and he'll run screaming in no time."

With the unforgiving gift of Psychometry, with one touch Leila can sense the persons most unforgivable sin, or regret or future and therefore she avoids contact with everyone she encounters at all cost, except her work partner Marty. Luckily Marty can withstand the electric shock much easier than the average human, well because he's not a human, he's a vampire. When Leila joined the circus as an entertainment act her partner given to her was Marty, and through their father daughter like relationship they truly have an endearing and charming family bond I enjoyed.

Auburn Hair's name was Jackal, according to what his friends called him. Their names sounded equally made up, so I mentally referred to them as Pervert, Psycho, and Twitchy since the last one couldn't stay still.

Shortly into Once Burned Leila is kidnapped by vampires looking to seek her services to destroy a powerful vampire and when she glimpses the brutal vampire they look to kill she finds herself frightened because whereas these men seemed scary they in no way can compare to the fire wielding merciless killer she viewed that smiled with glee while watching the death of another at his hands. Another shock Leila/Frankie discovers is that while using her gift of voyeurism Vlad senses she's watching him and when he demands to know her identify, she quickly must chose whether to trust the vampire who is as gorgeous as he is frightening or the relentless vampire kidnappers that are holding her hostage.

"If you betray me with another man, I'll burn him to death in front of you."

When Vlad first showed up in the Night Huntress series, I was instantly mesmerized by his character and when I heard he was starring in his own spin-off I was certain that I was going to get a charming, soft hearted loyal vampire. Hot Damn was I wrong!! The best thing about Once Burned is that Jeaniene Frost saves all his delicious and ALPHA glory for his Night Prince series. He's her best kept secret, even though I said that with Mencheres in his own book, but seriously Vlad has so much depth and character to him that it's almost like reading about an entirely different character.

"It must be important or he wouldn't dare disturb me now," he murmured. Then he drew away to look at me. "if it's not, I'll kill him and return to you directly."

He's ruthless and demands loyalty, he's possessive with what he deems "his", his witt kept me laughing while readung, his charm had me swooning his every word, his mysterious side left me yearning to know more about him, and his arrogance that made him such an ass has pushed me into full fangirl obsession mode with Vlad. Tepesh is simply intoxicating, and days later I'm still thinking about him washing his rock hard aroused body in a icy cold shower. Squuueeeeee!

"Good, because I wouldn't enjoy killing you. Thus far you're not boring or irritating; a rarity. I also reward those loyal to me, Leila, but know this--you need not fear anyone else asking as your under my protection."

From the moment I started reading it was difficult to put the book down because with every page I kept saying to myself one more chapter, but there wasn't even a chance to stop because the pace was exhilarating, exciting and I was eager to discovery the face behind the kidnapping. I enjoyed the setting in Romania at Vlad enormous compound with all his eccentric antiques and loyal staff, antiquated timepieces, and abundantly rich living arrangements.

"We all belong to Vlad," he said, patting my knee in a comforting way.

Maximus's gaze went from gray to bright green in an instant. "Not like she does, so remove your hand or I will remove it from your body. No one touches her except Vlad."

Together with Leila's Psychometry help, Vlad and those loyal to him set out to discover the true identity and location of the person desiring to use Leila's gift to ultimately draw an unsuspecting Vlad out and kill him. But Vlad Tepesh is a brutal force to be recognize with because he's so powerful beyond other supernatural beings that he's not easily killed. Not only is he immune to Leila's electrical shock but he's also a mind reader, immune to fire, Telekinesis wielder and a Voracious warrior in and out of the boudoir.

I shivered at the graze of his mouth and his seductively growled words. If he used that same tone of voice in bed, he could probably get away with skipping foreplay.
He laughed. "I very much enjoy foreplay. Didn't your vision show you that?"

Once Burned is a must read for fans of paranormal romance and especially Jeanine Frost fans!!! This book was amazing, and while this book has plenty of spark for romance lovers, the action scenes were flawless with plenty of flames erupting on the battle field as well as behind closed doors. Whereas Leila is sassy, brave and strong willed, Vlad is protective, masculine, Alpha and oozing sexual appeal. My only Dissapointment is that now I must wait for the next installment in the exhilarating romantic adventures of Vlad and Leila. Read this book immediately!!!!! I loved it. SHOUTY capitals!!

"I've let few people touch me in friendship, fewer still as a lover, but none in anger without extracting my vengeance......yet you struck me, and I did nothing." His voice deepened. "If you don't find sufficient apology in that, then you don't know me at all."

ARC provided for review courtesy of Avon

My review can be found here: http://missvainsparanormalfantasy.com...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

06/18/2012 page 95
25.0% ""You're hot, big deal. I'm attracted to a lot of hot guys. If Chris Hemsworth were here, I'd light him up like a firecracker with how fast I'd jump on him." LOL." 13 comments
06/19/2012 page 297
77.0% "I blame you Jeaniene Frost for having the song "I'm Too Sexy" blasting through my head over and over again...LOL" 7 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MISS VAIN OMG!!!!! I'm so excited for Vlad Tepesh!!!! I'm counting down the days, this series is going to be Awesome! :-) Vlad *sigh*

Lexxie Oh my, I agree! this is gong to be exciting to read!

MISS VAIN Absolutely Linda :-)

Lexxie Vlad is so much fun, so it'll make things exciting in more than one way

Mariya AHHHHHHH!!!! I love the title of the book and it's his own series, not part of Night HUntress World...OMFG~! Hurry up and get here, 2012!!!! =DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

MISS VAIN I know, I didn't realize he was getting his own series. This is awesome :-))))

Mariya me either. I thought it was just gonna be apart of the world series but OMFG! I'm too excited right now! His own series...ARRRRGHHH! I want it now! =DDDDDD

evilqueen21 Yep! Jeaniene says Vlad's story is just too long to squeeze into one book, she plans on at least three!! :)

message 9: by Yui (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yui Wow! I'm jealous. You're almost done but I'm not tempted to ask how it is. J.Frost is one of the authors I've learned to trust. And it makes the waiting more....

MISS VAIN It's going to be a 5 star book for me Yui!!:) You are absolutely right about trusting Jeaniene Frost!!;)

message 11: by Emmy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emmy Now Miss V you know you have to share! ;)

Mariya She must give me a line from that sexy scene I had heard about!!! Just one little line to tie me over! ;)

message 13: by Emmy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emmy Ditto. ^^^

message 14: by Yui (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yui Sexy scene?? Hear,hear! =D

Amazon delivery schedule is July 5th. Now I don't know if I should read the first 20% this early or not. *scowls@amazon*

Samina ~ Escapism~ Sexy scene sexy scene sexy scene!

MISS VAIN NOOO LOL the line from the song "I'm Too Sexy" is a FUNNY part that has to do with Bones too, it's not sexy LOL, but this book is very sexy!!

Debbie Squeeeee! Cannot wait for this!

MISS VAIN It was an exhilarating ride into the old Jeaniene Frost!!! I hope you love it too Debbie!!!! You don't have to read 5&6 before this one btw!!!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) SHOUTY capitals, indeed! Thanks for adding all the yummy quotes! *happy dance*

MISS VAIN Oh you're welcome Anna!!!! The quotes were so very awesome that I had to delete a bunch or else my review would have just been displaying ALL quotes!! LOL. SHOUTY capitals!!!!! Don't you love how us Fifty lovers find ways to weave a little bit of that series into everything else..? LOL.

Squuueeeeeing and doing a happy dance with you!! I really truly hope you love this book as much as I did, or else I'll feel bad.;)

Diana~ Oh gosh, I absolutely can't wait to read this book when it comes out on Tuesday!! I've be anticipating Vlad's book for awhile now and he's going to finally meet his match. ;)

MISS VAIN Oh Diana, I truly hope you love it as much as I did when you read it. Let me know k.;)

Brittany B. I can't wait! This review is great.

MISS VAIN Thank you Brittany!! :) I hope you love it as much as I did!