Corinne's Reviews > The Space Between

The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff

Feb 27, 2016

bookshelves: demons, fantasy, gothic-theme, horror, monsters, angels-a-o-nephilim, ebooks, other-worlds-a-o-realms, hell-a-o-underworld, heaven, almost-favourites, road-trip-o-quest, dying-a-o-in-between, coping-with-loss, lucifer, romance-a-o-love, stand-alone, available-for-swapping
Recommended for: People who like to read dark & cynical fairytales
Read from November 26 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy

4.5 stars!

"My whole life, I've made it a point never to trust demons," he says in a tight venomeous whisper. "I credit them for all the wickedness in the world, but I never seem to learn. The treachery of angels is NOTHING compared to the betrayal of an angel."

This paragraph is an example of the cynical and dexterous way Brenna Yovanoff mixes and turns all the archetypical Christian believes of the good angels versus the bad demons around and constructs a one-of-a-kind dark YA fantasy romance that mostly plays on earth. After receiving my copy of this really beautiful-arranged coverart, I was sure I wouldn't like it. Normally when I like the coverart, the book isn't that great and vise versa (I don't like the coverarts of my beloved "Magic" series by Ilona Andrews at all!). In this case I changed my mind after reading the 1st page :) Not only the likable character of the half-angel/demoness Daphne (greek name for devoted or faithful), but especially the broken and suicidal boy, Truman, as well as Beelzebub, Moloch, Lilith, the Lilim (succubi) and Lucifer are well constructed subsidiary characters who all display hidden depths, alliances and agendas. There are lots of turns, twists and unforseeable events that climax in a fairytale-like ending. However, one has to decide for her-/himself if this really is reality or a dream, because the way it's written kept me in suspense and even after reading it for the 3rd time, I'm unsure about the ending of this novel. Judge for yourself! In my opinion, this is the most original book about angels and demons I ever read, but because of severe themes such as suicide and death, I wouldn't give it to a kid under the age of 15!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between.

11/26 page 301