Deb 's Reviews > Sing You Home

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011-books-read
Read in April, 2011

Jodi Picoult's new book doesn't stray far from her tried-and-true formula: Take a current, controversial issue, create a difficult situation, add in some lawyers, some likable characters and some that aren't so likable, and you have voila! That's the premise here. This time the issue is same-sex marriage. Zoe and Max have tried for years to have a child via IVF, and when their latest attempt ends in a stillbirth, Max decides he's had enough. In the aftermath of their divorce, Zoe meets Vanessa and they eventually marry. Now they want Zoe's frozen embryos. What makes this book different is the soundtrack that accompanies the book. A CD with original music is contained in the book with recommendations to listen to specific tracks for each chapter. I wasn't terribly impressed with this novelty. I also wasn't impressed with how Picoult how the different points of view were presented. In most of her other books I have found her portrayal of the different sides of an issue much more evenhanded and balanced. I felt her own beliefs were quite transparent, and unlike her other books, I didn't come away with something to ponder. It was quite predicatble, even to the "surprise" ending, which also is one of Picoult's trademarks. All in all, this was not one of her best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sing You Home.