Marie Segares's Reviews > Crochet Master Class: Lessons and Projects from Today's Top Crocheters

Crochet Master Class by Jean Leinhauser

Jun 22, 11

bookshelves: crochet, needlecrafts

Crochet Master Class is one of the few crochet books I have seen recently that has really excited me. The structure of the book includes a bio of each master crocheter with her or his "crochet biography" as well as a description of the specific connection to a particular technique or skill.

For me, the book works on many levels. First, it introduces you to many skills (which I promise to outline below). Second, it introduces (or reminds you of) many masters. Third, it presents some great photos and a sample project for each skill/technique.

I've been crocheting for about 27 years and teaching crochet for the past four years. At this point in my own crochet life, I'm not as psyched by following patterns. I'm a bit more intrigued by design. What I like about this book is that there is a pattern for each skill/technique, but there is also some discussion about how to do the technique in case you are more interested in learning the skill than you are in reading a pattern collection. I have already used it in my crochet classes and whenever it is passed around, the students get very excited about the possibilities of crochet.

Here is a list of chapters and the relevant skills and masters:

* Woven Crochet with Jenny King
* Painted Crochet with Ferosa Harold
* Free-Form Crochet with Prudence Mapstone
* Irish Crochet with Maire Treanor
* Wire Crochet with Nancie Wiseman

As many of the reviewers have already mentioned, the book doesn't provide you with enough detail on each topic to master the skill (particularly if you are a beginner crocheter). Instead, this book introduces you to many of the creative things you can do with crochet which aren't generally featured in the standard pattern books. By introducing you to a master in each field, you are also given some hints about where you might find further information (e.g., on the master's website).

This is definitely a book that can bring your crocheting to the next level, or give you a creative "kick in the pants." I recommend it to crocheters of all levels. Beginners will get to see all that you can do with crochet, intermediates will be introduced to some interesting techniques and patterns to walk them through the technique, and experts will get to see some beautiful crochet pieces and learn more about the inspiration of many great designers. I consider it a "must-have" for any serious crochet book collection.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crochet Master Class.