AMessyRenaissance's Reviews > Genghis: Birth of an Empire

Genghis by Conn Iggulden

U_50x66
Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

I only picked this book up because it was priced reasonably and I needed something to read. I really wasn't expecting to care for it very much.

This is a superbly written book. The characters are fully fleshed, the action is well described and heart poundingly excited and fast paced, and the story itself is interesting. I was mostly impressed with his descriptions of tribal lifestyle; he didn't attempt to glamourize it and he didn't attempt to make it savage. It truly came across as someone's way of life, filled with the taken for granted factoids of the past that are interesting to us now.

The author's dedication to research and fascination with his material is obvious. He is also a very talented writer. I didn't find myself cringing at silly descriptions or ill used oxymorons and puns.

I didn't really expect the story of Genghis Khan to be so fascinating to me. I truly didn't expect that he would be a complex humanist figure or that his early childhood could be somewhat sympathetic or his adulthood a triumph over harsh beginnings. I'm very much looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I thought so much of the writer that I've looked into reading his first series.

My one complaint is that some of the names in the beginning are very similar, before the characters begin to fully flesh out. The author does explain why they are so similar in the epilogue and how he attempted to change them as much as possible while remaining historically accurate.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genghis.