Meg's Reviews > The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie

The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure

Jun 11, 2011

bookshelves: memoir
Read in June, 2011

I think just a full star for all of the Little House information in here. I knew bits and pieces about Rose and Pa and the THE TRUTH, but it's nice to have it told by someone who is both passionate about it and protective of it. And without having to commit to a full-out Laura biography which I'm not sure I could take.

Overall it's a very personal book, and Wendy McClure gets at a feeling that I know well, that strange need to get inside the thing that you love...followed by the frustration that there isn't really a way to do that. There isn't really a way to get into Laura World, except to read the books and to love the books. Everything else is a variation on a theme. I'm a gal who loves a museum, loves a historic house tour, so I know. You can be precious about the exhibits, you can dig deep for the dirty secrets, but that moment when you first touch a thing is the most best. Recapture is never the same.

Also I really like the way she acknowledges the amount of pleasure that is derived from the THINGS in the Laura books, the loving descriptions of simple elements. Probably Laura Ingalls Wilder is the only writer ever who has made lots of little girls desperate to get leeches, just to see what it's like.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wilder Life.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-4 of 4) </span> <span class="smallText">(4 new)</span>

message 1: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Let me know what you think when you finish this.

message 2: by Michaela (new) - added it

Michaela Me too, me too!

Sarah excited to start this book!

message 4: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg Sarah! Looking forward to hearing what you think.