Lana.'s Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

F 50x66
Jun 02, 11

bookshelves: fiction, thought-provoking, young-adult
Read from April 19 to May 02, 2011, read count: 1

Christopher seems a bit strange. The precision and exactness of his words are confusing when combined with the what seems like overly simple everyday observations. Then it hits you: He has Asperger's Syndrome. This "cousin" of autism (which can be consider the extreme end of a spectrum), is not as well known. As the person who has it often is high functioning, it can be quite shocking when others who do not know of it come across it.

Christopher, candidly describes his experiences, his inability to lie, his love for numbers all in this book as he documents his attemps to figure out who killed his friend - his neighbour's dog.

Soon the reader is pulled into his confusing world - where faces are impossible to read, and the clues he finds point to something completely frightening.

Though I could tell what was happening, I felt scared, unsure how Christopher would react to the challenges he ahead, and frustrated too as the people around him try to help him, but can't quite breakthrough.

While being sad at times, I think this is fabulous read, where I felt as though I could really understand (or atleast grasp how I definitely could not truly understand) someone who's brain is wired differently from mine and hence experiences the world in a completely different way.

Haddon is an amazing storyteller, I look forward to reading more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.