Lisa Kay's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Warning: Don’t expect Donna Reed to show up in this one.
Donna Reed Pictures, Images and Photos
★★★★★ I loved it, I hated it, I couldn’t put it down, I vowed never to pick it up and read another chapter. Yeah. I went on an emotional roller-coaster ride with this fantasy Machiavellian soap-opera. It grabbed a hold of me and wouldn’t let go, even when I pleaded for mercy. I can’t image what those poor people, who don’t read, are doing while they wait for the next installment of this series to come out on HBO.

Then again, I may commiserate with them when I finish book #5, with books #6 & #7 still unwritten. A compelling read. The characters were fascinating, the story convoluted. Glad I did it as a buddy read in the Nothing But Reading Challenges Group. Some things I surmised, some things they figured out way before I did, some we figured out together.

Warning: There is no telling who lives, who dies, or who gets away with murder in this book: beloved characters, despised ones, bad men, good men, women, children, animals and the innocent. **sigh**

All I can say is, "Winter is coming." **sigh**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

George R.R. Martin
“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.”

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

George R.R. Martin
“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

George R.R. Martin
“When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.”

George R.R. Martin
“Give me honorable enemies rather than ambitious ones, and I'll sleep more easily by night.”

George R.R. Martin
“Life is not a song, sweetling.
Someday you may learn that, to your sorrow.”

George R.R. Martin
“Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well.”

George R.R. Martin
“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”

George R.R. Martin
“Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it.”

George R.R. Martin
“The common people pray for rain, healthy children and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace.”

George R.R. Martin
“Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle.”

George R.R. Martin
“What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.”

George R.R. Martin
“There is only one god and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: “Not today.”

George R.R. Martin
“I swear to you, sitting a throne is a thousand times harder than winning one.”

George R.R. Martin
“If I took it away, no doubt I'd find a morningstar hidden under your pillow within a fortnight. Try not to stab your sister, whatever the provocation.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones: Book 1 of A Song of Ice and Fire

George R.R. Martin
“And pray that he is the man I think he is, he finished silently, and not the man I fear he has become.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones: Book 1 of A Song of Ice and Fire

George R.R. Martin
“...How would you like to die, Tyrion son of Tywin?"
"In my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a maiden's mouth around my cock, at the age of eighty," he replied.”

06/09/2011 page 39
5.0% "Just started; doing a "buddy read" in the Nothing But Reading Challenges group. Liking it so far."
06/10/2011 page 76
9.0% 7 comments
06/15/2011 page 283
35.0% "Man-oh-man! This is a great read. Complicated and full of intrigue. Has some wonderful quotable lines."
06/15/2011 page 283
35.0% "Still loving this book. So much, I went out and bought the next one too!"
06/18/2011 page 385
48.0% "I am not expecting Donna Reed to put in an appearance any time soon, LOL! "
06/20/2011 page 515
64.0% "Man-oh-man! Fantasy Peyton Place is getting more and more convoluted!"
show 13 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer I am just about to start this. I got it from the library and there is a hold on it after me, so I am nervous about finishing it in two weeks! Are you liking it?

message 2: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 04, 2011 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay I'm afraid I’ve run the gamut on this one, Jennifer.
Like, love, disgusted, love, really love, hate, really hate-and-ready-to-put-it-down-never-to-be-picked-up-again, like, love, really love, etc.
Get the picture? LOL! It is a compelling read.

message 3: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jun 23, 2011 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay Sorry, I didn't respond to your other statement. There are 72 chapters (averaging about 6-8 pages each); my "buddy read" is reading 4 a day=18 days, which was great at the beginning, but now I am starting to read ahead. I don't know how fast you read, or if you work full-time, but you will probably walk around with it (like I do - my copy is getting quite beat-up).

Jennifer Oh boy I am in for it then! I am a fast reader but work fulltime. I get about four hours of reading in a day thanks to my commute, so we shall see how I do...

Jennifer Btw, your Donna pic is priceless!

Lisa Kay Thanks! Yeah, Jennifer, that was right b/f a really deep belief that I was putting this book down forever. Good thing I had Ms. Reed's image as a reminder of the reality of what I was reading.

I’ll have to check out your status updates. Have you already started?

Jennifer Not yet. I am finishing Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, another light and airy read, groan...

Lisa Kay NOT!

Regina Great review! On to Clash of Kings?

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise Great review Lisa, I have been wanting to start this but am waiting for the right frame of mind.

Lisa Kay Regina wrote: "Great review! On to Clash of Kings?"

Thanks, Regina! Onward! Have your read COK?

Lisa Kay Denise wrote: "Great review Lisa, I have been wanting to start this but am waiting for the right frame of mind."

Thanks, Denise! Yes, you definitely have to be ITRFOM for this one!

Regina I am 60% in. I am reading it slowly along with several other books. :)

Lisa Kay Regina, I had to read several other books while reading this one, otherwise I never would have picked it back up. Too frustrated in parts, and too sad in others. It was the mystery that kept luring me back, LOL!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Lady D!

Regina #2 has more violence and misery. That is what I take a break from, I am with you!! Otherwise I love it.

Autumn  AHHAAH!!! What an awesome review Lisa!!! i felt exactly the same way.. AND IM ON FOR BOOK 5!

keep it up girl!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Autumn! Regina has me scared, if the next is full of even more violence and misery. **sigh**

Regina But it is still very good. :)

Lisa Kay You are a wicked, wicked person, Regina! (Just kidding!)

Autumn  Yeah lisa, there's lots of violece but tis wicked good ;P

message 23: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH You did it, Lisa Kay. You finished that huge book! Great review! Regina is right, the second one does have more violence and misery - I found the first half of that book slower than the second half.

Regina And there is more misery and violence in the first half (at least thus far!). I would take breaks after certain horrible scenes. :(

Lisa Kay Ugh! I better stock up on fluffy, fun reads to pace myself.

message 26: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Yes, you need to read a few fluffy things in between and even while you are reading the next book.

message 27: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose Love your review! Read it outloud to my hubby and we both laughed because we loved the series. I've got it on hold at the library. Thanks!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Rose! I hope you "enjoy" the book as much I did. I'm getting ready to start A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin tomorrow - another buddy read in the Nothing But Reading Challenges group.

I hope you don't have a long wait from the library. BTW, are you going to read it or listen to it on audio? I look forward to your review!

Lisa Kay Autumn wrote: "AHHAAH!!! What an awesome review Lisa!!! i felt exactly the same way.. AND IM ON FOR BOOK 5!"

Autumn, I was re-reading your comment and wondering if this means you'll be joining the Nothing But Reading Challenges group for book #5? I don't think we'll get to it until October.
A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin

message 30: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose I'll be reading it - though I have a trip coming up so an audio version might work well. It looked like a copy would become available on July 11 so I'm hopeful of that! Thanks again!

message 31: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose PS - I'll "send a raven" with my review! :)

Autumn  Lisa Kay wrote: "Autumn wrote: "AHHAAH!!! What an awesome review Lisa!!! i felt exactly the same way.. AND IM ON FOR BOOK 5!"

I just might ^_^. It's such a long book, besides I was quite weary of book 4. I dont think I will start it right away.maybe you will catch up with me

Lisa Kay Rose wrote: "PS - I'll "send a raven" with my review! :)"

Educated me. What's a raven?

message 34: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose I've heard more than once on the HBO series that they'll "Send a raven" with news/messages between Winterfell and King's Landing. Like a carrier pigeon except they used ravens in that time period!

Lisa Kay OMG, Rose, duh! I should have caught that, LMAO! I was thinking there was some box that could be clicked when I wrote a review, LOL!

message 36: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose I should have just waited - I knew it would come to you!

message 37: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 04, 2011 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay I don't know if I would have caught it until I started reading the book tomorrow. I was out of Westeros world and completely somewhere in the technology of cyberspace.

message 38: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M haha Donna Reed! That mother!

Well, I am currently reading it. It is quite okay...

Lisa Kay Great, I hope you are enjoying it, Danna!

message 40: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M 300 pages through it, and this is beautiful! beautiful! I know some people compare it to lord of the rings, but I think it is far better (well, Tulkein's world is more fascinating, but the writing of GRRRM is better, I suppose).

Lisa Kay I'm glad you are enjoying it, Danna! The next one is good too. :)

message 42: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M I think I will read the rest of the series, A GAME OF THRONES is truly spectecular and outstadning.

Lisa Kay Just now getting to your comment, Danna and I can see you finished the book. So glad you liked it! Are you going to continue with the series?

message 44: by Chad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chad Cottle Lisa, if you haven't finished all five books yet, you are in for some seriously great reading.

message 45: by Lisa Kay (last edited Apr 10, 2012 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay I finished A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin November 10th; got too violent for me. Didn't think that was possible after book one.

Sandy Lisa Kay, not sure if you are watching the HBO series, (I always think of my Buddy Read friends when I watch it) but last night was the introduction of Brienne! The TV version is almost just like I pictured her, however I don't remember her being 7 feet tall! LOL

Lisa Kay Sandy wrote: "Lisa Kay, not sure if you are watching the HBO series..."

Sorry, Sandy, just seeing this. No, I don't remember that either. So, did you like the HBO version? Did you make it through all of this series?

Sandy Yes, I read books 1-5 and re-read 1-3. The HBO show is phenomenal! A few things are changed but it's not detrimental. I highly recommend watching. Season 3 starts at the end of March!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Sandy!