Jennifer Ellision's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

Apr 26, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy
Read from June 17 to 22, 2011

I read this book on the recommendation of People magazine. The review raved that if you liked Harry Potter (love it) and Twilight (am ashamed to admit it), you would like this book because it was fantasy for grown-ups.

And there was a time when I might have liked this book. If I hadn't grown up reading fanfiction and thus becoming all too familiar with the "Mary Sue" phenomenon, I probably would have liked it. Because when I was thirteen, and in high school... I didn't mind Mary Sues so much. Homegirls were all-powerful. They could do anything!

And that's the problem. Diana Bishop's only flaw is that she's too powerful. She has powers generations gone. It's unheard of for a witch to have that many powers. And anything she can't do, it's doubtless that her lovey-turned-hubby, vampire Matthew Clairmont, CAN.

I liked Diana in the beginning. She was so intellectual... but once Clairmont entered the picture it seemed like he was all she really cared about and I just couldn't respect her anymore.

It just read like 'fic. Really, really long fic, the kind that garners tons of reviews and following, but the nothing particularly fantastic. The prose wasn't exciting, the characters were bleh, and I just think it was built up to be way more than what it was.
1 like · flag

06/18/2011 page 26
show 4 hidden updates…

Jessica *The Lovely Books* I felt/feel the same... Still reading after two months!