Jodi's Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: books-about-china, memoirs, non-fiction, parenting
Recommended to Jodi by: Amanda Peltier
Recommended for: mothers
Read from April 24 to 25, 2011, read count: 1

Let me begin by saying that I am so glad Amy Chua is not my mother but then again her kids are playing at Carnegie Hall and I am a lowly stay-at-home mother...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......I had a "Western" mother and I have to admit that I didn't care much for her either. So which style of mothering is better? After reading this book, I am truly not sure, but I am glad that I am gentle with my children and I still have high aspirations for their future without making them feel worthless.

Interesting comments:

p.29 What Chinese parents understand is that nothing is fun until you're good at it. To get good at anything you have to work, and children on their own never want to work, which is why it is crucial to override their preferences. This often requires fortitude on the part of the parents because the child will resist; things are always hardest at the beginning, which is where Western parents tend to give up. (Hmmmmmmm......Emily is saying her riding lessons are too hard. Should I push her and get her through this challenge or do I let her sample something else?)

p. 66 ".......in the West dogs have long been considered loyal companions, in China they're on the menu." (I am a huge dog lover, but his comment really struck my funny bone!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.