Kim's Reviews > Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put on My Pajamas, and Found Happiness

Slow Love by Dominique Browning

Apr 26, 11

Read in March, 2011

After unexpectantly losing my job, I found myself ruminating a lot at Borders Book's the same time they were closing many of their stores. While doing this, I fortuitously located this book amongst the many piles of 70% off's. It was on my list of "someday I might get to it." Am I glad I did! I always loved Dominique Browning's column's when she wrote for House and Garden, even though I am as far away from her lifestyle as one can be. But she writes like she is your friend. And I like her. A lot.

I wish I could hang around with Dominique during my unexplainable (to others) days of unemployment. She truly understands the complete exhaustion of sleeping all day or how much work it really takes to be jobless, particularily when others call and ask "How is the job search going?" She knows the need to be have her presence required somewhere everyday and the compulsion to fill days with lunch dates to maintain human contact and relevancy. She's stayed up all night cooking, organizing kitchen drawers, playing piano and being completely off the rhythm of all the worker bees of the world - she knows being alone while children grow up, work families dissolve and lovers move on.

She writes with warmth, humor, and humanity. Her stories of Stroller are the stories of every woman, but if you can't relate, than you are a rare (and lucky) woman indeed. Who hasn't experienced the madness of a love affair with a non-committed man?

Love you, Dominique. You were a wonderful, charming and warm companion. I hated to let you go at book's end.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slow Love.