tonya.'s Reviews > Black Heart

Black Heart by Holly Black

Apr 26, 2011

bookshelves: ya, arcs, swoons, 2012, paranormal, poc
Read in March, 2012

This may very well be one of those reviews I come back and change after a later reread. I wanted so badly to give this five stars, to have all three books in the series match, but I just couldn't muster it for Black Heart.

I should give the disclaimer that I read this during a very busy, distracting time so perhaps I was not in the right frame of mind, but I found the first half--if not 2/3rds--slow and meandering. Don't get me wrong, I love Cassel--he could just tell me about his every mundane day in his snarky self-deprecating voice and I'd still enjoy it--but for me there was something missing in the beginning. I didn't get the sense of urgency, or the longing, or any of the smart, keep-me-guessing-until-the-end mystery elements.

And I'm still wondering what the hell the Mina sub-plot was there for.

All in all, I enjoyed it. The last third lived up to my Holly Black expectations and I sped toward the last page, and ended with a happy sigh.

I definitely recommend this series; it's one of--if not THE--best done YA trilogies I've read. And like I said, I'm likely to reread at some point and roll my eyes at my own review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart.

03/07/2012 page 18
6.0% "Girls like her turn into women with eyes like bullet holes and mouths made of knives."
03/23/2012 page 148
50.0% "This is slow going, though may just be me."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Shanna (new)

Shanna I just checked to see if I had any of her books in my kindle collection and I do! I have The Poison Eaters: and Other Stories. Did you read?

tonya. I haven't read those yet, but I really enjoyed this series. She's a phenomenal writer.

Erika Gimme! I want to read it! :)