~Tina~'s Reviews > Abandon

May 26, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, read-2011, paranormal
Read from May 24 to 26, 2011

(3.5stars)

I've always struggled with Cabot's books. Besides her Mediator series, the rest of the books I've read from her were just okay, so I'm really very surprised I enjoyed Abandon as much as I did.

Actually, the only thing that really bothered me about this book, is what bothers me with all of Cabot's books. Her writing style. I think it's that she can never.just.say.it. Even in her dialog, she has to have a running thought attached to it and it feels like she draws everything out in long, long long explanations, and while one would call it being mysterious and dramatic, I would call it making the reader (me) dizzy and impatient. So why do I keep going back to her books? Simple, cause she knows how to deliver a good paranormal plot and provoke intense and complex characters. Which mind you, is exactly what I found with this book.
So while I might not ever be a fan of the way Cabot writes, I have to admit, she knows what she's doing.

Okay, for starters, I'm going to push aside the whole re-telling of Persephone and Hades. Yes, this is a re-telling of sorts, but it was more of an idea around them that Cabot used. The twist she's created for John and Pierce's story is not exactly different, but it's also not the same. John works for the Underworld and fell for a girl who rattled feeling back into his very dark life, and as for Pierce, besides the whole being kidnapped bit, actually returns her feeling for him as well. The plot-twist was believable and intriguing and I really enjoyed the necklace and the Furies added into the mix.

Funny enough, I didn't like a lot of the characters in this one. I did like our protag, Pierce, and thought she was very sweet. I liked how she cared for life and everything in it and that she can hold her own. For some reason her cousin, Alex, I liked in the beginning but then bothered me later on. Her parents weren't really in the story and I don't think she had any real friends. I did like Richard Smith though, and thought; finally an ally thrown into the mix! But if I'm being honest here, it was John who totally owned this book for me. I don't know why I find brooding characters so unbelievably sexy, but I do. Despite John's thunderous temper and the fact that he's frustrating and presumptuous, underneath it all it's not hard to recognize the tourtured soul and the potential for kindness. Call me a sucker, but he's the kind of character that will always have me swooning over. I wish the storyline was centered around him and the Underworld rather then the boring high school blah blah, but thankfully it didn't last to long and I have high hopes for the sequel. The flashback-chapters did a good job of letting the reader relive the past with Pierce and understand her dilemmas more, which also gives us a better understanding to where John fits into all of this.

The ending warped-up a bit to fast in my opinion, just when it was starting to get really interesting, so again, I have high hopes for the second book. Cabot really knows how to make her readers curious.
Basically, this book surprised me. I was all prepared to hate it and went in with zero expectations, but I ended up really enjoying myself and finally found a glitch when it comes to Cabot's books.
Skip her contemporary and stick with her paranormal.

Very much looking forward to seeing what she has planed next for Pierce and John in; Underworld!
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandon.

05/24/2011 page 54
17.0% "I'm still struggling with the writing...but so far it's okay." 6 comments

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I'm still undecided about this one. Glad you liked it and I can't wait for the other Booker reviews to come in for this one. :) Awesome review Tina!

~Tina~ I'm shocked that I liked it, but I really did:) Thanks hun!

message 3: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Great review Twinie. Glad you enjoyed this one. I struggling a little with getting into (and it would help if I didn't keep getting distracted by other books). Hopefully I will finish it this weekend :)

~Tina~ Thanks hun! Sorry your struggling, maybe it'll pick up for ya later:)

message 5: by Nomes (new)

Nomes glad you loved this :)

now you can be a meg cabot fan, haha ;)

love the review

~Tina~ Thanks:)
lol! I'm not there yet...but maybe one day;)

Milly Great review T! I gave it 3.5. I still have to put my thoughts down about this book. I actually enjoyed it to my own surprise.

~Tina~ Thanks Milly:) I was gonna give it a three, but I liked it so much that I would read the sequel so I gave it a four:)

Crystal Nice review =) I agree with everything you said =)

~Tina~ Thanks babe!

Kristy Yep, Johnny boy owned this one ;)