Zeek's Reviews > Midnight Rainbow

Midnight Rainbow by Linda Howard

Initially this story starts off with a bit of Pride and Prejudice, in that Grant Sulliavn, ex-military who’s specialty was jungle warfare, is prejudiced against Pricilla Jane Hamilton Greer from the facade of a spoiled selfish society girl she’s wrapped around her life. But Jane, is not who she portrays and she knows exactly what she’s doing- ie getting the hidden secret microfilm (microfilm- yeah that’s how old this book is) and getting the hell out of Costa Rica ASAP. If her pride keeps her from telling the truth to the cagey junglecat her father hired to rescue her, so be it.

But that changes quickly enough when they head out into to the jungle to make their escape together. Even though she has learned she can only depend on herself to make her way in the world, she’s letting down her guard and allowing this stranger to get her out of this mess. But can she trust him?

Through danger both from the jungle and those hunting them down, they learn to lean on each other all the while discovering that neither is what first impressions led them to believe. But old habits die hard and it’s easier to believe the worst of someone, after all. Can Jane find the strength to let him go so that he can finally learn to believe what is true?

Though written in the 80’s this book holds up damn well. A forerunner to all the military hero romance novels out there, Midnight Rainbow sure doesn’t disappoint, both in edge of your seat action and heart melting romance.

The book really gets started when Grant sneaks into her room to get her out and… she racks him with well placed knee! Jane is my favorite kind of heroine, smart and vulnerable but determined. Courage is her middle name, plowing passed very real fears to do what she’s gotta do.

Grant is of course the quintessential alpha hero, protective and in control and once he discovers she can match him in inner strength and nobility he’s a gonner- which makes you love him all the more.

Still, it takes a bit till he’s ready to accept their love, hardnose that he is, but the emotional payoff at the end of their story- as quirky as Jane herself- makes this former category romance a treasured romance novel in the best of traditions.

4 out 5 from me!
(I still like Kell’s book best! :))

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Rainbow.

09/16/2011 page 5
2.0% "Decided it was time to re-read this soes i can get a proper review of it up here. Plus- Grant. yum!" 1 comment
09/16/2011 page 126
49.0% "Jane watching Grant in the stream. Man that's hot." 2 comments
09/16/2011 page 214
84.0% "dammit I hate when a hero believes the worst of the heroine"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jacqueline I always say any time is a good time to reread Linda Howard. I need to do a reread on this one too and for the same reason. :-)

message 2: by Zeek (last edited Sep 16, 2011 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek So true Jacq- Kell's book has always been my favorite but I'm remembering this one is just as good- for other reasons! Gotta love those on the run in the jungle settings...

Jacqueline I'm a huge fan of on the run in the jungle books. Always looking for more so let me know of any good ones you run across!

Zeek hm, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Heart of Fire- but I'm sure you read that.

OH if you dont mind paranormal romance, Pleasure of a Dark Prince ends up with them in the Amazon. (Frickin love this one.)

message 5: by Shannon (last edited Sep 16, 2011 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shannon C. Another good jungle book is River of Eden by Glenna McReynolds. I read that a while back and remember liking it.

Jacqueline Thanks I'm going to try POADP and ROE. I have a shelf labeled In the Jungle Wilderness Desert Tundra if anyone wants to check out the ones I've found.

Saly Zeek so you are doing a re-read. Awesome!

Zeek LOL! I know- I have all these books stacked around my home that I havent read for the first time and what am I doin? re-reads.

sigh

AgentScully I liked Grant most. And Kell least.

message 10: by Saly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saly Zeek my tbr also keeps looking at me, while I am engrossed in watching some show or the other.

Grant is my favorite as well, Scully!

message 11: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek AgentScully wrote: "I liked Grant most. And Kell least."

ha! i liked Grant alot but- yeah, Kell. :P