Zeek's Reviews > Son of the Morning

Son of the Morning by Linda Howard

Nov 14, 2012

bookshelves: favorites-all-time, favorite-author-all-time, pnr, rom-suspense, hist-rom, hist-rom-scottish, uber-alpha-male, rom-time-travel, favorite-hero, own, romance
Read in April, 1997

Re-read 11/7/12

A medieval Templar assigned to protect a secret treasure

A modern woman alone against a powerful sect

An ancient text ties them together before they even meet…

And then Grace came to Creag Dhu.

Read and re-read since the 90’s, for some reason, this romance novel always draws me in. Probably because it blends different sub-genres of romance so expertly- and dang, is the hero hot.

A chick book for sure, I will admit I can see it being a hard one to get into because it's so not romance novely for half the book (literally). (Heck, the H/h dont even physically interact until then!) But I happen to enjoy the journey we are taken on while we watch Grace grow and change into a completely different woman.

A romantic-suspense thriller with a paranormal time-traveling twist that ends up in historical romance territory, Son Of The Morning has it all- a fairly predictible mystery plot- (but that's only because The DaVinci code stole a portion of it :P)- a gutsy heroine who reveals her strength through edge of your seat action and a smokin hot, uber-alpha hero like only a romance novel can conjure- as well as the gritty sensual sex he lays down on her- and you have a page turner that stands the test of time, even after all these years....

Black Niall, an ex-communicated Templar Knight from the 1300’s turned his back on God when He did nothing to save Niall’s brothers in arms. But that didn’t stop the Scotsman from taking on the job of being The Guardian of God’s secrets. Still, it’s his status as the King of Scotland’s illegitimate half-brother and self-appointed protector of the throne, that motivates him now. Until the treasure is threatened by wisp of girl who haunts his dreams.

Grace St. John's world is turned upside down when her husband is murdered practically before her eyes- and all because she discovers an ancient secret hidden in old documents she's been translating.

Now she's on the run from a cold killer who wants what she knows. Determined to finish the work they began to avenge her loved ones, in the midst of it, incredibly, she makes contact with a man, a myth, from another time.

It will take more courage than she's ever imagined to stay alive- especially when the secret that's been hidden throughout the centuries leads her to Niall and to an impossible place and time.

Oh they defeat the bad guys but wait to you see how...
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Son of the Morning.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead This was one of my surprise favorites as well. My employees love this book. My copy is so warn that we've resorted to taping the cover together. LOL

Zeek mine's getting like that too! Just from ME re-reading it all the time!

message 3: by Zeek (last edited Jul 20, 2011 05:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek hunh. I've heard rumblings on that end. I wonder why? I know that After the Night and Shades Of Twilight are- both of which I really like- and I even get why, but I dont get it on this one???

message 4: by Zeek (last edited Jul 20, 2011 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek AKISA! I read it when it came out back in the late 80's! haha- that's how old I am!

Another book I absolutely adored- in fact it was the first and only time I ever felt like writing a fan letter to an author.

But I understand why people would not like it tho... the ending is decidedly different from your average bear.

I love differences- takes things out of the same old same old for me. (You can do anything but for God's sake dont bore me!)

Dont get me wrong, I still need some basics when reading romance- HEA, strong characterization, etc.- when I dont need that I read depressing literary, but yeah when they venture out to the edge into new territory and do it well? I love it! :P

message 5: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth Great review. I'm going to have to get my sticky hands on this one. I guess I missed it when I quit reading romance during high school..

Zeek Hopefully you'll enjoy it! :)

MelissaB This is a good book but it wasn't as big a favorite for me because I wanted more romance - but still good writing.

Lisa I remember this book! This one stands out from linda howards books. I might have to re-read this too.

message 9: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Can't wait to read this one. I just discovered this author and so far read only two of her books, but they were both amazing and had me in tears!!

MelissaB Sara wrote: "Can't wait to read this one. I just discovered this author and so far read only two of her books, but they were both amazing and had me in tears!!"

Sara - she has many great books!

Holly I always think of this more as Grace's book than a romance. Yes it has romantic elements, but it's really about her growing and becoming strong. I love it.

message 12: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek yep I agree

Kathleen i agree, too. BTW, All this talk has got me re-reading the book =)

message 14: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek heh heh

Sanya Reading Linda's books is compulsive for me. I can never stop, I don't know what is it, but I love everything she writes (except the last few books). I noticed I rated her books mostly 5 stars-even when she's not at her best, she's still better than others. IMO.

message 16: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek That's why I fell in love with her oh so many years ago. My LH first was Heart of Fire  by Linda Howard and it's still one of my favs by her. Jungle luvin baby ::fans self:: Everything after Mr. Perfect just lacks the same heat imo...

Kathleen Zeek!!! Heart of Fire is OUTSTANDING!! Holy hidden treasure! I gobbled it up like candy and went back for more the next day!

MelissaB Sanya wrote: "Reading Linda's books is compulsive for me. I can never stop, I don't know what is it, but I love everything she writes (except the last few books). I noticed I rated her books mostly 5 stars-even ..."

Sanya,

Same for me, I love to reread her books, they never get old for me.

message 19: by Kathleen (last edited Nov 14, 2012 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen Sanya wrote: "Reading Linda's books is compulsive for me. I can never stop ..."
Me, too, Sanya and Melissa. She creates such yummy heroes and pairs them with strong women.

MelissaB Always glad to talk to fellow LH lovers!

message 21: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek high 5s all around :D

message 23: by Sanya (last edited Nov 15, 2012 12:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sanya Zeek wrote: "My LH first was Heart of Fire  by Linda Howard and it's still one of my favs by her. Jungle luvin baby"

That was my first Linda Howard, too, Zeek!!! After that one I read the other 50 books in line, LOL, I went crazy! :P
Love her "Earthy and no bullshit" heroes, Kathleen ;)

Kathleen Yup! Pure testosterone, with adorable boyish prankster peaking out occasionally.